Bumblefoot on Silver Appleyard foot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckPoop, Jun 19, 2017.

1. DuckPoop

DuckPoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Hello,

Well, this poor little duck has not had a good time of it. This is one of 3 ducks I hatched out and had to give away. I picked 2 of the 3 back up last week. This one had an eye infection/damaged eyelid and a swollen cheek on the right side. The swelling has gone down and the eye is much better now. Missing part of the left upper eyelid. Anyway...

I did notice a dark spot on one of her feet when I picked her up. She and her sister had been eating mulberries and playing in the mud when I got them. Thought it was just dirt at the time. My mistake big time. The spot does not appear bigger than it was, the duck walks normal. I believe the infection to be older and partially dried out. There does not appear to be any swelling.

Bumble Foot Duck.jpg

Today I cleaned the area and put some antibiotic ointment on it. Then wrapped in stick to itself tape. I did attempt to puncture the area to see if there was any infection on the inside, but nothing came out.

My plans are to clean the area daily, use the antibiotic ointment and wrap. Unfortunately she will be getting wet as I have no way to keep her out of the water pan.

There may also be an area that needs attention by the back toe nail.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Looks like bumble foot to me.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It does look like bumble so your doing a good job in keeping it as clean as possible

Best way to treat bumble I have found [and pus is not runny in poultry] so no puss is going to run out pus is thick and yellowish in birds. So what you need to do is soak her feet in warm Epsom salt water half cup to half gallon of warm water. [no drinking the water it's also a laxative] after soaking as long as possible while holding the duck then dry and apply Clear iodine to the area. let it dry then apply the antibiotic ointment. Wrapping is good but if she is going to get it wet it will probably create even more bacteria to the area with her walking trough dirt so maybe not a good idea to wrap. At this point and because it isn't open I don't wrap.

After soaking and using the clear iodine for a few days try to gently lift up the blk scab. It might be ready by then or you may have to so more soaking and iodine treatments. You want to make sure only the scab peels up though and not fresh skin. After scab comes off then with sterile tweezers you can try and remove the "plug of pus" Sometimes the clear iodine has already dissolved the plug of pus and there maybe nothing but a hole this is where continued soaking and using the antibiotic ointment and wrapping maybe beneficial as long as you can keep it dry. But it should heal pretty quick once you have gotten that far, It looks like its in early stages to so that helps.

Clear iodine Not reg helps to bring the infection to the surface that is why clear iodine is rec.

5. DuckPoop

Mar 29, 2017
    Thank you for the great information. Picked up the white iodine today and will be soaking her feet.

The wrap I put on last night didn't stay on. Kind of funny seeing a duck foot shaped bandage on the ground.

I had a staph infection once. Was not a pleasant experience. Hope this will clear up.

Thanks again.

6. DuckPoop

Mar 29, 2017
    Pulled the black scab away today. I have been applying an antiseptic to the area everyday. It looked smaller today and came off easy. There is some gunk in the area that looks like a bit of hard cheese that I couldn't get out. Applied antiseptic to it and some antibacterial cream.

IMG_2165.JPG

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That looks good. Keep soaking and applying the antiseptic to it. Doesn't look like a lot of gunk but if it stays swollen or scab returns then you may have to use sterile tweezers and try and get that gunk out that is the infection.

8. DuckPoop

Mar 29, 2017
    Well, as of yesterday, there is no further sign of infection.

chickens really and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome!!! :woot

Now go and tell all you did to get to this point. It will help others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by