Bumblefoot or Broken bone

NikithaKillari

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
My rooster jumped off from our two story building and got hurt. He’s not able to move, and one of his ankle is swollen. Took him to the vet and he says it’s bumblefoot. Can he get bumblefoot by falling off from two storey building? I feel
he might’ve suffered a broken bone or a displaced joint. Please help. He’s in so much pain and it breaks my heart to see him this way! I’m giving him meloxicam for the pain.

Post photos of his foot and the bottom of his foot. It does sound like it is most likely something more serious then bumble foot. It could be bumble foot if he feel on something sharp (but that means he most likely cut the bottom of his foot). How long after he fell off the roof did he start feeling pain? If he started feeling pain immediately or in the minute following it means it isn’t most likely isn’t bumble foot. Where did he fall/what did he fall on? Was there any blood? I personally don’t know much about dealing with a broken foot. But these questions should help the experts, also help determine if it could possibly be bumble foot.
I hope everything goes well, I’ll be here for support :)

Actually, it‘s not uncommon for them to end up with bumblefoot after dropping down from a height.
Even just jumping off their roosts onto a hard coop floor can give them “bumbled-feet” (my own silly word there, lol), especially if the roosts are set pretty high. Besides making the coop easier to de-poopify, straw or shavings on the floor of the coop provide needed cushioning.

That said, I’d think that a jump from that high *might* have the potential to cause a more acute injury. Bumblefoot takes at least a few days to develop... They aren’t gonna jump down off something high and instantly have bumblefoot. It’s basically an abscess that forms around damaged tissue— whether that damage is a deep bruise, or a puncture— the tissue dies and then the abscess forms.

Was your guy limping right away? Or was he limping a little & then it continued to get worse? The second scenario would be more typical of bumblefoot. If he immediately refused to bear weight on that foot, or was immediately limping badly... seems like that would point more to a sprain or break.

Of course there’s always a chance that he was already starting to develop a “bumble” and dropping from the height really hurt. Making it seem like the whole injury came from the fall.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they‘d just follow all the rules and keep themselves out of trouble—yeah, right! :gig

I swearrrrrrr. If they could just stay in their own premises, things would’ve been much much easier. He stopped moving since the minute he had that fall. His leg wasn’t swollen that day but later it got bad. I think it’s something more than bumblefoot, cuz it’s not able to walk at allllllll. Maybe I should go back to my vet and ask for an xray.

Post photos of his foot and the bottom of his foot. It does sound like it is most likely something more serious then bumble foot. It could be bumble foot if he feel on something sharp (but that means he most likely cut the bottom of his foot). How long after he fell off the roof did he start feeling pain? If he started feeling pain immediately or in the minute following it means it isn’t most likely isn’t bumble foot. Where did he fall/what did he fall on? Was there any blood? I personally don’t know much about dealing with a broken foot. But these questions should help the experts, also help determine if it could possibly be bumble foot.

Please let me know what you think. I’m scared for him

Attachments

• CEF9584D-6E15-48ED-8953-D27E4060F11E.jpeg
    CEF9584D-6E15-48ED-8953-D27E4060F11E.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 9427810C-F785-4FEE-A10F-1AA3B7369EBA.jpeg
    9427810C-F785-4FEE-A10F-1AA3B7369EBA.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 9
  • BBE50B63-AAC9-438C-B9B8-E15D91C62399.jpeg
    BBE50B63-AAC9-438C-B9B8-E15D91C62399.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 9
  • E4058176-8BF3-4271-98D1-2D1CDFABC51C.jpeg
    E4058176-8BF3-4271-98D1-2D1CDFABC51C.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 9
I swearrrrrrr. If they could just stay in their own premises, things would’ve been much much easier. He stopped moving since the minute he had that fall. His leg wasn’t swollen that day but later it got bad. I think it’s something more than bumblefoot, cuz it’s not able to walk at allllllll. Maybe I should go back to my vet and ask for an xray.
I think that’s reasonable...
Did the vet treat the foot at all?

Back
Top Bottom