Bumblefoot or broken foot?

Mguyll

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2021
This particular hen did have bumblefoot in her left foot pad and one of her right foot toes which I took care of. However, the pad of the right foot has been swollen for some time and I can't find a spot to make me think it's bumblefoot. She walks on it, but with a limp and sits down a lot. So does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with her right foot?

Attachments

• 20210911_114429.jpg
    20210911_114429.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210911_114446.jpg
    20210911_114446.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210911_114457.jpg
    20210911_114457.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210911_114530.jpg
    20210911_114530.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 23
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Looking at the foot, it doesn't look shaped right... Comparing with the other foot, carefully run your fingers over her toes and everything to feel for anything broken. It looks like the middle toe is questionable, so check that one first.
Also, look closely for anything that resembles like there could of been an open wound at one time. There could still be a possibility that it is Bumblefoot, but looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like that...

:welcome :welcome :welcome

Looking at the foot, it doesn't look shaped right... Comparing with the other foot, carefully run your fingers over her toes and everything to feel for anything broken. It looks like the middle toe is questionable, so check that one first.
Also, look closely for anything that resembles like there could of been an open wound at one time. There could still be a possibility that it is Bumblefoot, but looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like that...
I really checked for any sign of an open wound to no avail. We've had her caged for a while in hopes if it was broken it would get better, but all that looked better was the swelling. I'll feel it over again. Thanks.

I really checked for any sign of an open wound to no avail. We've had her caged for a while in hopes if it was broken it would get better, but all that looked better was the swelling. I'll feel it over again. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be broken too. Have you tried icing it and seeing if that takes the swelling down any? If you do ice her foot, wrap the ice in a towel first and don't have it on her foot longer than 10 minutes. ;)

How old is she?

Maybe Gout or Arthritis. Mycoplasma Synavai can also cause swelling of the feet.
You could try Tart Cherry extract to see if that makes a difference - some folks report good results using that for Gout.

Let's tag in @Eggcessive

Looks like gout too me. Tart Cherry Extract capsules work wonders.

Had a poor crippled hen, who had bumblefoot, & gout at the same time. The tart Cherry Extract capsules helped reduce swelling of her feet, where her joints were. Eventually all the swelling was gone, but I still supplemented her for awhile.

The bumblefoot ended up recurring a few months after I treated her for that. I then decided to put her down, since I didn't want her to continue getting treated for bumblefoot repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom