Bumblefoot or injury? (sorry graphic pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bjcoop, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Hi! I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me here. I have a dear hen (one of my first) who has come down with I bumblefoot (I think), or a bad injury. DH took a pic for me, so I could post it. I've read thru much of the info on bumble, but it looks like its an internal foot thing, not a cut type thing.

[​IMG]

I feel bad that I missed this, but she has seemed fine, active, very talkative as usual, and first in line for treats. We put neosporin on and bandaged it last night. What to do? We can't afford to take her to a vet, if they even have one out here that will look at chickens. Don't want to see her in pain, and she had a hard time roosting last night. Any advice is much appreciated.
    -----------------
    16 spoilt chickens, 1 13yo rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

2. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I've never personally seen it. But looks like bumble foot to me. I think you have to lance it and clean it out. Then put her on antibotics and keep the foot clean and wrapped. Bumble foot starts with a small injury and then gets staff infection in it. Hopefully someone else thats had experience with this will post. Like Speckledhen.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Looks like bumblefoot, bumblefoot gets a plug of infection.....Try the Search button at the top of this page and type in bumblefoot...lots of posts should come up on that topic and what to do....

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You can take care of it yourself...Speckled hen had a better outcome than my hen did though...

You need to take out the plug of junk that's the infection and use antibiotics to get rid of it.

5. McChix

McChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Probably an injury to the foot pad that led to the bumble foot you now see. Do a search on how to lance it and pull out all the puss and other crud from the wound. Then use something like neosporin and bandage it. If it is rally bad, an oral or injectable antibiotic would be advisable in this case.

7. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Thank you for your posts. I was afraid it might be bumble foot. Trying to get brave enough to work on her. She came right up to me this morning--talking up a storm. Poor thing. Surprisingly the bandage stayed on. Think I'll have to wait for DH, after work tonight.
    In the meantime, I'll try to study the info on BF. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    15 spoilt chickens + 1 semi-spoilt, 1 13yo rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by