1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot, or just a tumor?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LTygress, Oct 27, 2013.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    "IT'S NOT A TUMAH!"
    I had to quote Arnold from Kindergarten Cop. But I'm not completely sure about this.

First, lots of pics of "Harry's" foot....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, some explanation. Harry came to us full grown, crowing, and with a mate who was already laying eggs. He already had this growth on his foot, but he was penned up pretty tight with it in a little 1-foot by 3-foot cage. I let him free-range before moving him into a 21-foot by 17-foot pen with some other chickens.

I don't know what this growth IS. It is actually going across the small toe on one side, and forces that toe to fold down and UNDER the other two front toes. When I first got him, I thought about having it removed. He would limp on it a little bit, meaning it was causing either pain or weakness. But eventually he became better and stopped limping. I learned that he only really limped on it when I would pull feathers tips out of it - hoping to make it more comfortable for him to walk on.

But recently he started to limp on it again. I'm not completely sure why, since I haven't done anything with it lately. But it has led me to re-think the idea of removing it. It doesn't look like bumblefoot to me - but could it be? Maybe late stages, after it has already gotten very bad?

And do you think I should go ahead and remove it or not?

(By the way, some feather shafts that I had pulled before did bleed pus when I pulled them again. But others that I had not touched in the past bled plain blood).

2. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Also, none of the pics really show a dry-scabby spot. They only show feathers or feather shafts that are or WERE trying to grow out. and the entire growth is pink, like flesh. Not yellow or brown like rotten infection.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    It looks like bumble foot, is the swollen pink spot on the top of the foot or the bottom? Is the small white spot in the center where a hole may be or have been. If so that is the spot that has to be pulled out and cleaned..

4. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    That's the thing - it would technically be on the TOP of his toe, not under it. The growth of it has pushed his toe until it folded under (upside down) and under the other two toes.

5. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    The best way I can show you how this was done is to tell you....

Take your hand and hold it out in front of you, fingers spread, palm down. Holding your thumb straight, fold it down under that hand and try to touch your pinky finger with it (the thumb should be going ACROSS your palm). It should feel very much like expressing the number "FOUR" with your fingers.

Now this may seem easy, but keep in mind our thumb is meant to fold like that. The three front toes of a bird, are NOT meant to fold like that. His back toe, yes, but not the front ones. That's what this is. His front toe, on the outside, has been forced by this growth to fold down and under the other toes, much in the same way you just did with your thumb.

If you try folding your index finger down and across to touch the heel of your hand, you'll notice it won't lay flat against your palm. But this guy's toe is doing exactly that.

Now the problem with removing it ALSO has to do with his age. Keep in mind that he was supposedly "hatched" with this issue, and I've had him for almost a year now with this issue (and he was full grown when I got him). I don't know how old he actually is, but I know he has been living with this issue for a very long time! Would removing it cause more harm than good at this point?

6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    It still could be a infection that is in there. You had mentioned pus coming out of feather shafts. Is the spot that is in the center a small scab? I would lance it and see what you have inside, see if it has a core. Then clean well and bandage.

Here is a good thread if you have not already seen it..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to/430#post_12196368

Just saw your other post.. It may be just that way and nothing to be done with it. But I would have to explore it, if it seemed to be getting worse and was mine to deal with.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would be tempted to do surgery on it. I would attempt bumblefoot surgery, but if it is a tumor it could be vascular and bleed. If pus was coming out of it before, it probably is an abcess that is walled off. You might get some Procaine Penicillin G and start it for a few days (dose is 1/10th of a cc or ml.) into the breast muscle daily for 4 days. Then try the surgery. Bumblefoot pus is sometimes solid and cheesy, so you have to squeeze the dickens out of it from many angles. If you have a local vet that would attempt this without anesthesia, I might let them do it, if only for the bleeding risk if it's "a tumah"

8. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    The "ickyness" of doing it myself, I can handle. The bleeding I can handle. Stypic powder, lots of gauze for direct pressure, rubber bands for a tourniquet if needed, I even have the self-adhesive bandaging tape on hand.

I'm just wondering - tumor or bumblefoot - if it would be worth the trouble to remove it or not. I also have a large 100mL bottle of the penicillin, and extra-large (250mL) bottle of Tetracycline. Plus my mother is diabetic and lets me have all of her excess (unused) syringes (sometimes they ship the ones where the needle is too long for her), so I have at least one full box of those, too.

I just don't know how well he will be able to WALK after it is all said and done. And even once I remove it, I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to get his one toe back into place - at least not without splinting it back-to-back for a very long time, changing it a little each time (like they do with braces).

9. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    By the way, I did give him some injections of the Tetracycline once before, directly in the growth. And it would just squirt out of another hole where I had pulled a feather. I don't think any of it actually stayed in there, and it didn't shrink at all, of course.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It probably causes pain and if it is bumblefoot, it may eventually enter the bone and it will be over. You don't have to cut the whole thing out--just pretend it is bumblefoot, and try to get the plug(s) out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by