Bumblefoot or Leg Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Queensilkie, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Queensilkie

Queensilkie Songster

Jan 22, 2016
    WA
    I posted a few weeks ago about a Brahma pullet I have, who suddenly developed a limp that slowly got worse. I thoroughly checked for signs of bumblefoot, and didn't see anything alarming, so I assumed she had landed wrong and broken or sprained something. I give her half a baby aspirin every morning, and she's still eating and drinking. I have her in a small pen of her own, so she can't tire herself.
    However she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She holds her leg out behind her and 'hops' around. She has started panting excessively, although I've made sure she's hydrated. I cleaned her feet and did notice some slight redness, only on the pad of her injured foot.
    Looked like a bit of a red flag for bumblefoot, so I slathered some honey on it (anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory), and wrapped it up.
    Just wondering if the sign are more pointing to early bumblefoot? Or is it most likely just an injury? And if so, how can I further help her heal?

Thank you for reading, have a good afternoon.

2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma If u try, u risk failure. If u don’t, u ensure it. Premium Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    I would keep doing what your doing. I'm assuming you can't take her to the vet. You could try to let get soak in an epsom salt bath.
    The "holding her leg behind her" sounds like she slipped a tendon.
    Giving her vitamin/ mineral supplement could help. Adding Manganese, Choline, and vitamin B7 (biotin) and other B vitamins to get water could also be beneficial.

3. Queensilkie

Queensilkie Songster

Jan 22, 2016
    WA
    Yes, sadly taking her to the vet is not an option as of now.
    I've heard about doing the epsom salt, good to have it seconded. Will definitely do that tomorrow.
    So I have also read that the tendons could be the problem, and that soaking for short periods in cold water can help? I'm not sure the point of that, i assume reducing inflammation?
    Is there specific treatment for slipped tendons?

4. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    How old is your pullet?

5. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    Here is a pic from the Chicken Health Handbook. 20180713_224730.jpg

6. Queensilkie

Queensilkie Songster

Jan 22, 2016
    WA
    She's only recently 4 months old, but bigger than even my full-sized hens. (Braham growth).

7. Queensilkie

Queensilkie Songster

Jan 22, 2016
    WA
    Okay, that makes a lot of sense. She seems to have a very hard time even bending her leg. I'll look into vitamins for her.
    So it says no reversal of deformity, is it likely she'll stay like this?

8. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    Thats what the book says, but chickens are amazing animals that can bounce back from alot of injuries and diseases. Anything is possible.
    If she starts showing other syptoms let us know.

9. Queensilkie

Queensilkie Songster

Jan 22, 2016
    WA
    Yes, very true!
    Thank you so much, i will update for sure if anything else happens to her!

10. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Allegany County , NY
    Your welcome.
    I hope she gets better soon!!!! :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: