1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot or not? PICS ADDED!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gersbud, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I was reading a post on Bumblefoot and I believe it sounds rather like what my BO Roo is having a problem with [​IMG]. He seems to be having trouble walking, he does not stand for long periods of time, and his feet especially one looks rather swollen. He did not have this problem until we moved to our new home. We now live in a rather wooded area with lots of raspberry and blackberry vines (Which the Girls and Toad(Roo) just love). Could someone please help me figure this out. I have never seen bumblefoot nor do I know exactly what it is. I will try to down load a picture, not sure if I will be able to, always seem to have problems downloading pics. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bumblefoot will usually have some sort of boil looking thing on the bottom of the foot. Sometimes antibiotics help and sometimes you need to lance it. You could try some neosporin on it. However it would be better if you uploaded a pic so we can have a look see.

It is easy. Just go to the top blue bar where it says, "Uploads" and click on that. Go down to where it says "Browse your pics" and click there. Browse your pics, pick one out and then press "submit" at the bottom. Then go back and "copy" the lower "IMG" address and then "paste" that to this post. [​IMG]

3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Since they are in an area of thorny vines, it's likely that his feet got cut or scraped and then became infected. It could be bumblefoot or dermatitis. Are there any cuts on his feet? Are the toes normal?

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Can you post a picture?

5. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG] Ok I went out tonight and took some pics of Toad's feet (My Roo). Hopefully these will be of use to figure out what the problem is. While I was out there I looked at all the the chickens feet and found no cuts or boils. I went over Toad's feet much better and I found nothing there either. The only thing I can see that is different now then before we moved is that his legs seem a little scaly and a bit larger. My otherhalf believes that he may have gotten frostbite this past winter and it is causing this problem. Ok here goes the hard part, uploading the pics. Hope they work, never had any luck doing this before, wish me luck.[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for all the replies.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Looks to me like your roo has scaly leg mites. These can be easily treated. See this link, post #6 for treatment suggestions, and post #9 for more information and pictures. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427874 You can do a search on this site for more information also - plenty of people have had to deal with this. To check for bumblefoot, look at the bottom of his feet for a dark scab, which usually indicates bumblefoot is present. I think you definitely need to treat for scaly leg mites, though. Do you agree after looking at the pictures in the link? Good luck to you!

7. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Thank-you RhodeIsllandRedFan, After folling the link that you suggested and read the post and followed the link provided in post #9 Toad does look like he does have scaly leg mites. So thank you very much, hope after I follow the suggestion on a cure he can get better. Would you suggest that I also treat the hens as well. They don't look like they have it but it sounds contaigous or should I just treat the ones that have legs like Toad's [​IMG]

8. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Treat all your chickens, and their house. I'd treat them all once a month anyway, just to keep it away.
    The scaly leg mites live in the wood of a chicken house, so if you leave it unchecked all your chickens will get it. The mites eat through connective tissues in the legs and can cause a lot of damage, so don't put treatment off. They are already well established in your roo's legs, so treat him every day until it improves, then once a week to break the reproductive cycle of the mites; treatments will usually only kill the hatched insects, not their eggs.
    Spray insecticide in the house, morning is best, since you can keep them away for the rest of the day and it should be safe. If you don't want to risk poisoning a chicken, at least give it a good scrub and clean-out.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

9. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    This is a little unorthodox, but it works great. For scaly mite, I spray their feet down twice a day with Pam - the cooking spray. It suffocates the mites. 7 days is usually enough to work. You should be able to tell the difference in 3-4 days. Good luck!

10. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Or use any cream, vaseline or nappy cream especially works. It stays on and coats better than cooking oil [​IMG] If things get out of hand, you can also use medicated oil or dip their legs in insecticide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by