bumblefoot or not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by neophyte17, Oct 2, 2013.

1. neophyte17

neophyte17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    my rooster has a spot on his leg that looks like bumblefoot but it doesn't seem to bother him. He is not limping or showing pain. It's been there for months. Don't want to cut it out and put him through the stress and and bandage him up if it's no need. How can i be sure that it is bumblefoot

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a picture of it? Some birds develop scabs on their feet, which sometimes turn into bumblefoot. My birds occaisionally get small black scabs on the bottoms of their feet, but it never progresses further into bumblefoot.

3. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    I will try to take a photo in the morning. Thank you for replying

4. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    Here is one [​IMG]

5. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    Here's another photo[​IMG]

6. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    My other rooster had a black scab too. I soaked their feet in epson salt once a day for 15 minutes for two weeks or so but then stopped cause it didn't seem to be doing anything for their scabs

7. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    Sorry....hit reply too soon. Anyway, the one scab on my other rooster disappeared. Don't know if it was the soaking that helped. But the scab on the photos never went away. Like I said though, it doesn't seem to bother him. They free range alot. He scratches like normal looking for bugs, chases after my dogs, ambushes visitors he doesn't like, jumps on and off my patio chairs like they are there for him, does the kung fu fighfing for a few seconds with my other rooster. I would hate to cut him up and bandage him if its not necessary

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    If it's not red and swollen leave it alone. His body can fight off infection from all kinds of injuries just like us. Bumblefoot is initially an injury that gets infected. I don't see signs of infection (limping, swelling, redness or puss) so just leave it be. What you see is a scab just like we get.

9. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    I think it is bumblefoot in early stages. He's not limping because his weight is on the foot pad more than the toes. Sometimes mild bumblefoot resolves on its own, but if it does not, it can be very difficult to treat. Yours is a great candidate for antibiotic soaks with TricideNeo. It has an antibiotic that kills resistant staphylococcus, a common cause of the infection. I have had great success with it, and you can read what I said about it on comments #25 and #27 on this recent thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ent-for-3-yo-hen-please-help/20#post_12101106

Again, I would not let this go. If it gets worse, you might need to do surgery (or put the bird down), and this is a lot more painful for the bird than soaking. And surgery does not always work the first time around. Many people have described doing surgery repeatedly on the same wound. Ugh. Horrible for the chicken.

Nip bumblefoot in the bud while you can.

10. neophyte17

Mar 26, 2013
    Florida
    I tried the tricideneo when i first noticed it. I went through the whole packet and i didnt go away. Should i try it again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by