Bumblefoot or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jacobsenbd, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    I've looked at a lot of Bumblefoot threads and I'm still not sure if this is it. [​IMG]

We live in Colorado and it is terribly dry here - very little humidity. All our animals have dry skin. Do any of you have a problem with your chickens feet cracking due to dry climate?

I'm new to chickens and we have a 5 month old hen (blk sex link) with what looks like dry cracked spots on the bottom of her feet. It doesn't look like a scab at all. I'm not sure if it's Bumblefoot or just Colorado dryness; however, she just started favoring the foot, but it doesn't appear swollen/puffy. Her foot/leg is a dark color so there's no defined black spot as I've seen in pics of Bumblefoot. Her other foot looks about the same.

Here's a pic - the picture makes it look worse than it really is:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any insight!

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    looks like it but i understand how it is kinda hard to tell. There is an awesome non invasive bumblefoot thread!!! search it on here...................... LIFE SAVER. Maybe they might chime in and have better insight.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Doesn't really look like bumblefoot to me, but I could be. It looks like thickened and cracked skin- like a person's heel who wears flip flops all of the time...
    If that was my chicken, I would sand it down a bit- like with dremmel, and put an emmolient on it like vit A/D/E creme or bag balm. Is the ground really hot? Do they walk on cement/asphalt or gravel that could have caused a burn?
    It if it bumble foot- that center piece will come out if you pick at it (yuck- I know). If it is thickened cracked pad, it will not come off- and will bleed in the cracks if you pick at it. Look up bumble foot treatment for details.

4. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for the responses!

It looks like thickened and cracked skin- like a person's heel who wears flip flops all of the time...

Like mine! [​IMG]

Actually this is exactly what I was leaning towards. I read a thread here somewhere that someone sanded their pads a little and it helped. So I think that's what we'll do tonight. Then we'll put some ointment on them, maybe even wrap them overnight so it gets soaked in good. Then check it in a day or so to see how it is doing.

Their run is mostly dirt with some ground cover. They also free range a few hours a day. We do have some gravel they walk on but it hasn't been that hot here lately - not hot enough to burn anyways.

After reading a ton of threads about Bumblefoot I do think our roost is too high (and they don't use the ramp). Looks like this weekends project will be lowering the poop board & roost!

Thanks again!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by