1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot (Photo)Severe: please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stacibful, Jun 26, 2016.

1. stacibful

stacibful Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

My 2 year old RIR roo has a sever case of bumblefoot. I recently adopted him from another farmer and noticed he had large feet. We thought they were just malformed from previous fights with offer roosters. We've been treating him with penicillin and duramycin. I clean the site every other day by soaking in betadine and epsom salt, then peroxide, finally I cover with gauze and wrap with vet tape. Today looks better but it's still pretty bad. Is there anything else I should be doing? Any advice? I don't have high hopes that it's going to get much better. TIA

2. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    Bumping because I'd really like some advice

3. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

I think the only way to get rid of that is to do the bumble foot surgery. That's pretty big and looks like it's been around for a while. I would do the surgery if he were mine. I have had s bumble foot hen that I have been battling for atleast a year.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might also do some research on bacterial arthritis and mycoplasma synoviae in chickens, just in case it isn't simply bumblefoot.

5. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015

How would I do the surgery? I wouldn't even know where to start with an open wound of this size. It's open on the bottom of his foot as well. There is a vet at a college but they're 2 hours away

6. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

Google bumble foot surgery. The Chicken Chick has YouTube videos that I used. It's a very large bumble (if that's what It is) it's going to need serious wound care once you are done. You need to separate him for it to heal. You want to keep everything as sterile/ clean as possible and wear gloves when you do it. Before doing the surgery, I would research what eggcessive said.

1 person likes this.
  7. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1010427/uuugggg-bumble-foot

Here is the link to my bumble foot thread that I started last year. It has some helpful info in it. With my hen, she had multiple areas and in a later surgery I ended up cutting on the top of the foot between this toes to get a chunk out. So it's ok to do different areas if you think you can get the bumble. Also I clean cut heals better and faster....just something I learned from all the surgeries.

1 person likes this.
  8. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    I'm atleast 90% positive it's bumble. Each site had the tell-tale black scabs. The other foot had it as well but is healing very nicely. I have taken tweezers and gotten out so much cheesy stuffy. I'm afraid I'm going to nip a bone or a nerve. I'm assuming I would take a scalpel and cut away as much as I can?

9. stacibful

Apr 13, 2015
    Let me add too that his behavior (besides limping) is normal. He crows all day, eating, drinking, and is still getting some from his girls :) he's such a good guy. We pick him up, pet him. I just love him to pieces.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's better to cut into it or around the scab, and then squeeze in every direction to get the pus or plug out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by