Bumblefoot quail

Keelz78

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2019
Hi all I have no idea if I am posting this right or even in the right place? I’m after a bit of help/any ideas on Bumblefoot? My little lady Peggy has Bumblefoot, we removed the black scab and pushed out 2 pieces of hard infection cleaned and covered the wound, I took her to the vets as I can only get antibiotic creams etc on prescription, she had surgery just over 2 weeks ago to make sure the wound was clean and given antibiotics, 3 days after surgery I removed her bandages as instructed by the vet to find another black scab! I pulled it off with the ‘wick’ gave a gentle squeeze no puss just blood, I cleaned her up and covered her foot, 3 days later no scab or wound but her foot has swelled right back up, I finished the antibiotics took her back to the vets he either wants to do another operation and stitch her foot open or put her to sleep? As I can’t afford another surgery he gave me a different antibiotic to try and told me to bring her back to be put to sleep if it didn’t work? She has now finished the course and her foot is still really swollen? I had a left over repeat prescription of her first antibiotic spare so I am now trying that again... it isn’t working! I’m doing Epsom salt soaks and rubbing a human antibiotic cream on twice a day still doesn’t seem to be working? She’s active eating and drinking if I’m honest her limp is slightly better I think? Is there anything else I can try before I have to have her put to sleep? I have some leftover amoxicillin 250mg from one of my daughters? Would this work does anyone know? Sorry for the long post,( Peggy is a pet not for meat or eggs)
Thank you

Hi all I have no idea if I am posting this right or even in the right place? I’m after a bit of help/any ideas on Bumblefoot? My little lady Peggy has Bumblefoot, we removed the black scab and pushed out 2 pieces of hard infection cleaned and covered the wound, I took her to the vets as I can only get antibiotic creams etc on prescription, she had surgery just over 2 weeks ago to make sure the wound was clean and given antibiotics, 3 days after surgery I removed her bandages as instructed by the vet to find another black scab! I pulled it off with the ‘wick’ gave a gentle squeeze no puss just blood, I cleaned her up and covered her foot, 3 days later no scab or wound but her foot has swelled right back up, I finished the antibiotics took her back to the vets he either wants to do another operation and stitch her foot open or put her to sleep? As I can’t afford another surgery he gave me a different antibiotic to try and told me to bring her back to be put to sleep if it didn’t work? She has now finished the course and her foot is still really swollen? I had a left over repeat prescription of her first antibiotic spare so I am now trying that again... it isn’t working! I’m doing Epsom salt soaks and rubbing a human antibiotic cream on twice a day still doesn’t seem to be working? She’s active eating and drinking if I’m honest her limp is slightly better I think? Is there anything else I can try before I have to have her put to sleep? I have some leftover amoxicillin 250mg from one of my daughters? Would this work does anyone know? Sorry for the long post,( Peggy is a pet not for meat or eggs)
Thank you
Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
would be perhaps a better placement of your request for help.. Best regards and welcome to the site.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...being-cured-by-baytril.1287364/#post-20845163

Thank you all this is what her foot looks like at the minute
The first antibiotic was Engemycin
The second was marbocyl
I’m now giving Engemycin again

Attachments

• 6C68A76A-30B1-4BDF-815E-1B3ED3183812.png
    6C68A76A-30B1-4BDF-815E-1B3ED3183812.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom