Bumblefoot question, no not about getting rid of it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cluky, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    So I checked my chickens' feet today and get this 3 out of 5 have BOTH feet with the tell tale round scab!!!!!!!!! BUT nothing under the scab. So question is...... Is the scab bumble foot? Chickens are fine. No limping or anything else! Nothing under the scab as I said too. What can I do? Just monitor until it becomes a problem???? ALSO.... Anything that would cause "mass epidemic" of this???

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have caught it early. It can progress to being very swollen and sore. Right now you might get by just soaking their feet twice a day in warm epsom salts and water. Just keep an eye on it. This staph infection is usually caused by sharp rocks or other objects and jumping down on hard coop floors. Soft bedding and getting rid of sharp rocks helps.

3. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I have no rocks in coop! The coop floor is sand, and run floor is dirt. Can it be from the type of roost ,aterial?

4. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    so "performed surgery" with soaking. there was the scab but nothing under, just a deep scab. bandaged feet up at as well. now how long to keep bandages for? also back to original question, with floor being sand and no rocks in site, what can cause such "massa epidemic" of this? is it possible chickens just have this and unless it is infected it is ok for them to live with this without harm?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by