Bumblefoot question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OwlLover, Sep 15, 2011.

1. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    What happens if bumblefoot is left untreated? I mean, no one in my flock has it, but in the future, what will happen if I don't do surgery on it? Thanks!!

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That's a good question. Usually people post after they have a problem--way to be pro-active!
    I'd also be interested in the answer to this.

3. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Left untreated, bumblefoot infection can get into the bones and cripple the bird. A sick/injured bird is also at risk of being pecked to death by the rest of the flock.

4. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks. I don't really have the heart to do surgery on anyone (but thankfully no one's caught it yet- knock on wood [​IMG] )

5. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I had never heard of it until we noticed marble sized sores on the top of my wyandotte's feet. If you check their feet regularly you can catch any infection early. As I read about it, I also learned that the perches and roosts for heavy bodied birds should only be 18 inches from the ground. I lowered mine immediately!

6. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the tips. I don't have heavy birds (heaviest the andalusian,) but I'll keep that in mind! I'm not sure if my coop is 18 inches high, though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by