bumblefoot question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Dec 1, 2013.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    yes, I will post a picture when I get hold of her again, but just starting this thread off in the meantime.

We have a little old hen, 8 years old, who's been limping and shaking her foot. Her limp was very bad yesterday, but today it was not so bad. I caught her and looked at her foot. She has a tiny black dot on the bottom, with a small lump, and it had like dry skin, or an old scar, over the top. I brushed off the dry skin so I could get a better look, and she acted like it was touchy, but it is not red or inflamed, and there's no sign of infection I can really see. I can catch her again, but she just detests being handled or confined for any reason, and I know she will be miserable in captivity. I also think she may have a little heart condition, doesn't seem to be bad, she's had it for a while, but I'm reluctant to stress her out because of that.

But does this sound like bumblefoot? Her foot looks perfectly normal except for the little place on the bottom. Should I start soaking it and treating it even though it doesn't seem to be bad, or should I take a chance on it resolving itself? I've only treated one other case of what seemed to be Bumblefoot, that was a long time ago and I don't remember what the symptoms were or how it resolved.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have several mild cases of bumblefoot in my flock. I don't do anthing to them unless they are swollen, red, very tender, or the hen is limping. Some of these have not changed or progressed in 2 years. I do the surgery on them if it is bad.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK. I will check her out again today. I don't want to do surgery except as a last resort, so I do want to nip it in the bud, if she's still limping. I have found wounds in chicken feet extremely difficult to heal, and we lost a good rooster to aspergillosis, after he'd been on antibiotics, and under a vet's care, for weeks and weeks, for a foot infection (not bumblefoot). I am very sure the long stint of antibiotics contributed to the aspergillosis.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    People who soak the bumblefeet find that using epsom salts or a product called TricideNeo works well. It is available online or at fish stores. Compare the footpad with the other foot to look for swelling. If her limping is due to the bumble foot and not an injury, then I would do the surgery.

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I am going to start soaking her tomorrow and put her on Cephalexin as well. We will see how she does.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by