1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheekiechickie, Nov 3, 2016.

1. cheekiechickie

cheekiechickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    I have two white leg horns, who I found with scabs on the pads of their feet. No swelling, but the scabs were just slightly smaller than a dime. I did the surgery to try and get rid of the infection as quickly as possible, but there wasn't a "kernal" attatched to the scabs. The scabs were kinda thick, but I really don't know if I got the infection out. I cleaned, treated and bandaged them up. They dont limp or anything either. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, but does anyone have any advice?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Maybe you didn't have bumble foot, just a cut or something that developed a scab. [​IMG]

WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Photos will be helpful[​IMG]

4. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are from today, not yesterday when I first looked at them. They seem a bit swollen today and I am thinking that bottom pic looks awfully swollen from what it should be.
    Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    1 person likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @cavemanrich has given you some good information.

You may want to soak the feet in an epsom salts solution for several days to see if it helps reduce the swelling. Keep apply a triple antibiotic ointment like Vetericyn, Neosporin, etc., then wrap the feet. If the swelling doesn't go down or the feet worsen, then you may need to see if you can get the kernel out or seek vet care.

Keep us posted.

Here's a couple of more links:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
    http://hencam.com/faq/bumblefoot

7. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    Thanks. I brought them in and changed bandages this morning and soaked feet. I'll keep yall posted on progress. Thanks

8. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    Okay, so after soaking both chickens feet in epsom salts, one girl showed no improvement. I went back in, and did find a small plug like the size of the yellow bead on a sewing pin... got that cleaned out, but its been a week and swelling hasn't gone down. I have not seen any lethargic behavior, no limping, and she is eating great. She does now have swelling and a black scab on her other foot now too... I just cant win with her. The only thing I can think that might be causing it is their roosts. They aren't real high off the coop floor, but went ahead and added steps up to them. I am about to start using a tricide- neo soak for her now. Has anyone else had any issues getting a case of bumblefoot to go away?

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad you were able to find the "plug".

Sometimes it can be a challenge to get it to clear up. If all the pus/plug has not been cleared away, then it can be a battle.

Let us know how the tricide-neo works for you.

10. cheekiechickie

Mar 2, 2015
    Sorry it's taken so long to get back. The girls took well to the tricide neo soaks, and healed really well. They got a daily soak for 5min for a little more than 3weeks. Once the swelling was gone I stopped soaking their feet. They still had some scabbing, but that has healed and gone away. Thanks everyone for your help and support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by