Bumblefoot questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    i have had two hens and one roo that has had bumble foot recently and i haven't had to do surgery like the videos i have seen. on my roo, we just left it and his just went. on my hen Ellie, we picked of her scabs and there has just a lot of blood and a big hole in here foot, no plug, puss or anything so we just put antibacterial powder on it and bandaged it up and now its gone. and with my hen maxi, hers swell up a little so we did the same as Ellie, and one of them has gone and the other has crisped over. so whats going on as there is nothing but blood and a deep hole in each foot. is my way of doing it ok would you say?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Bumble foot is a form of staph infection. This type of infection is known to tunnel and lesser forms of it are found all over in nature. Because of this it can come back and the "puss" ball may have been deeper in the foot. My advice because they are getting better is to keep a close eye on all of their feet and if it does come back see if you can feel the tunneling in the top of the foot. Some have found it between the bones towards the top of the foot. Do not cut in again unless there is another problem as that leads to more healing time and possible secondary infection for an open wound. You may have just been lucky and found it super early. Take care of the crisped over one.

3. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Ok, thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by