Bumblefoot resistant to antibiotics.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mattcarter91, Jan 22, 2015.

1. mattcarter91

mattcarter91 New Egg

Jan 8, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Hi all. We have a 9 month old Rouen hen and the same age pekin hen. They both have bumble foot being treated with 22.7 mg of Baytril twice daily. The pekin's sores are clearing up nicely but the rouens are only getting larger. Any thoughts on this?! Thanks everyone!! Trying to keep our little girls healthy and happy.

2. duck mom 1103

duck mom 1103 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    ontario
    I'm having a bumble foot issue too, I was given some suggestions last night including using clear iodine. I haven't had any results yet but just starting. Hopefully some others can post some more suggestions. Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    8 days is max for using Baytril. I have only had Bumble on 2 chicken hens I didn't give antibiotics by mouth I just used the iodine method soaking their feet in warm Epsom salt water drying and applying the color less iodine to top of foot and bottom with a q tip to get it spread well then let it dry and kept the one with the flock since hers wasn't too bad, the other one had bumble in both feet so she stayed inside on puppy pee pads for a couple weeks while I treated her. I soaked their feet daily in Epsom salt water [warm] then every 3 days I used the colorless iodine. It cleared it up. Once you start soaking in the ES, this should loosen the scab enough that after 3-5 days you can pick it off then clean out the hole the plug will be thick like cottage cheese then swab the hole top and bottom with the iodine. You can also wrap the foot after treatment just be careful not to wrap too tightly.Once the plug is out keep soaking the foot and applying the iodine till healed. Do not let the ducks drink the ES it's also a laxative.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am with Miss Lydia on this - put the antimicrobial (clear iodine) right there on the bumble. And I am by no means an expert, but I would look into using Duramycin anyway… Did I not hear that it is effective at getting at infections in the extremities?

5. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Have you tried soaking in Tricide Neo? The results are pretty dramatic on well established bumbles. It penetrates the skin well, and you can usually see improvement after a few days. We mix it in distilled water and soak for 5 minutes daily.

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good idea I forgot about the Tricide Neo I had to order on line though but a good one to have for stubborn Bumble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by