Bumblefoot/Sprain/Broke???? I need advice!

chickenluv101

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
We have a chicken that has been limping for 4 days. We have separated her from the coop. The only thing we have done so far is soaked her feet into Epsom salt and warm water. She loved it! I have some pictures that I need help deciding if this is an early case of bumblefoot or if she has sprained/broke her foot? It is her right foot by the way.

Please if anyone knows what this might be let me know! :) Thanks in advance!

to me it looks like a small case of bumble foot. you can do the surgery by yourself or take your girl to a vet. if you want to do it on your own farm follow these steps:
sanitize the area you will be doing the procedure and wear gloves
soak the chickys foot in warm water with epsom salt- scrub the skin to loosen it up
apply an antimicrobial to kill remaining bacteria
you may want to give chicken antibiotics but is not required to heal
clean the foot
wrap chicken in towel covering its head so it cannot see( keeps it immobilized and calm)
where the scab is cut around it to get the core out
grab the core with a dry paper towel
wash the foot again and make sure there is no more infected tissue(this may take a while)
bandage the foot
apply triple antibiotic ointment
keep it wrapped for 24-48 hrs.
keep new bandages on for about 10 days, changing it every 48 hrs.

hope your chicken gets better!

I hope my advice helps! Good Luck!!!
smile.png

It looks like scaly leg mites, her scales are lifted. That can make them sore. Is there a scab on the bottom of her foot, I don't see any.

Hey thank so much for your advice! I don't see a scab on the bottom of her foot at all. Will it eventually form into one?

Thanks for your advice as well pwand! Is scaly leg mites easy to treat? I hope so. Tomorrow I am going to check the rest of the chickens to make sure they don't have anything that looks like that.

Last edited:
I did treat for scaly leg mites in case it is that.

I felt the chicken's feet this morning and I feel something hard on both sides in the same spot. I don't know if that is a bone or what that is. I don't see a scab yet.

Back
Top Bottom