Bumblefoot/Sprain/Broke???? I need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenluv101, Jan 29, 2014.

1. chickenluv101

chickenluv101 New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    We have a chicken that has been limping for 4 days. We have separated her from the coop. The only thing we have done so far is soaked her feet into Epsom salt and warm water. She loved it! I have some pictures that I need help deciding if this is an early case of bumblefoot or if she has sprained/broke her foot? It is her right foot by the way.

Please if anyone knows what this might be let me know! :) Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    to me it looks like a small case of bumble foot. you can do the surgery by yourself or take your girl to a vet. if you want to do it on your own farm follow these steps:
    sanitize the area you will be doing the procedure and wear gloves
    soak the chickys foot in warm water with epsom salt- scrub the skin to loosen it up
    apply an antimicrobial to kill remaining bacteria
    you may want to give chicken antibiotics but is not required to heal
    clean the foot
    wrap chicken in towel covering its head so it cannot see( keeps it immobilized and calm)
    where the scab is cut around it to get the core out
    grab the core with a dry paper towel
    wash the foot again and make sure there is no more infected tissue(this may take a while)
    bandage the foot
    apply triple antibiotic ointment
    keep it wrapped for 24-48 hrs.
    keep new bandages on for about 10 days, changing it every 48 hrs.

hope your chicken gets better!

I hope my advice helps! Good Luck!!![​IMG]

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    It looks like scaly leg mites, her scales are lifted. That can make them sore. Is there a scab on the bottom of her foot, I don't see any.

4. chickenluv101

chickenluv101 New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Hey thank so much for your advice! I don't see a scab on the bottom of her foot at all. Will it eventually form into one?

Thanks for your advice as well pwand! Is scaly leg mites easy to treat? I hope so. Tomorrow I am going to check the rest of the chickens to make sure they don't have anything that looks like that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If there is no scab, than its probably not bumble foot. Treat for scaly leg mites.

6. kubota girl

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    it could if it gets too far in the game... feel around the hump... do feel anything hard and then soft everywhere else?

7. chickenluv101

chickenluv101 New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    I did treat for scaly leg mites in case it is that.

I felt the chicken's feet this morning and I feel something hard on both sides in the same spot. I don't know if that is a bone or what that is. I don't see a scab yet.

8. kubota girl

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    watch for scabbing...if scabbing occurs, you know its bumble foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by