Bumblefoot, surgery and prep. pictures, end of the story post #12

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cats Critters, May 30, 2010.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

She is a soon to be 1 year old EE pullet, with one toe that is swollen at the base. Is it Bumblefoot? If it is or isn't how do I treat it?
    Here is a picture, she holds it up when she roosts and has a small limb when she walks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is there a scab on it on the bottom somewhere? If so, yes, it's bumblefoot. If not, check and see if she may have broken the toe. I have had hens with broken toes over the years, right at that joint nearest the foot.

3. Cats Critters

I'll check tonight when she roosts, she is not a pullet I can catch easily in the day time. I have had a few with broken toes in the past but they have always been farther down the toe.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. Cats Critters

Yep there is a scab, off to do searchs on bumblefoot.

5. Cats Critters

I operated today, I got some of the yellow out but had to stop because she was bleeding too much. I'll go back in a day or two. I'm uploading some pictures of the surgery.

6. Cats Critters

Supplies and my feet:
    [​IMG]
    her foot:
    [​IMG]
    Scab off and yellow gunk dug out and needed tweezers to remove:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. Cats Critters

I'm not posting pictures from her second surgery because all that really was done was fluid drained. But the other day I looked at her toe again and removed this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a really bad picture but it's a scab filled with the yellow gunk, when I removed it there was no blood and since I removed it the toe is looking much better and we appear where on are way to getting completely rid of the bumblefoot. [​IMG]

8. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is the first time I saw bumble foot on a toe. I have had it twice with two of my hens and had to cut them both out, but it was on the bottom of the foot with the scab/plug.

Glad she is doing good. [​IMG]:weee

9. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a hen that has a little swelling on the side of one of her toes and I was thinking bumble foot. Her's is no where as bad as this. I've been searching for hw to tend to it. If I don't have to cut her that would be all the better for me. I have a big problem with that but would if absolutely necessary. I'll try to get a pic later when I have extra hands to help.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    emvickrey. If you dont want to do surgery, you might want to consider soaking your hens foot in tricide neo. Type in the search box, "tricide neo." There was a thread on it awhile back that had alot of info in it. I tried it and it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by