1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot surgery first time Pg 1 SECOND TIME!!!! PG 3 GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenSparrow, Sep 21, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    3 weeks ago I did my first bumble foot surgery. I don’t think it went very well, there was a lot of bleeding, so It was very hard to see what I was doing. Every other day after, I soaked her foot in Povidone-iodine 10% with water for 15 min. Then I would pack the wound with Neosporin and wrap it up. Then for the first 3-4 days I gave her Baytril.
    I am not sure how better it is looking, she seemed a little slow yesterday and today, so I am worrying about it getting into her blood stream and her dieing! I know I am over reacting, but what do you all think?

Does this look normal for 3 weeks after surgery ?

Her foot before surgery
    [​IMG]

This was the surgery. It was bleeding alot more then in the picture.

[​IMG]

Her foot 2 days after the surgery
    [​IMG]

We soaked her foot every other day in Povidone-iodine 10% with water for 15 min.
    [​IMG]

Then we wraped it
    [​IMG]

Now at 3 weeks it looks like this. i dont think it looks very good. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    It looks like it could be infected again? Here is a bump in hopes that someone who can help will come along!

3. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you

4. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Please help!
    she is laying down now her tails DOWN!!!
    if I go over to her she stands up and walks away [​IMG]
    but she keeps laying down!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Poor Baby!!!!!

I am no expert so I am hoping that someone comes along and gives you another answer... Have you tried possibly draining it again??? Is she on any antibiotics? Did you sterilize everything when you were doing the surgery? How does her leg look. Can you post a pic of how she looks over all?

6. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm wondering if you got all of the infection out? What were you able to pull out? Did you massage and rinse several times to break loose the infected tissue?

Is she eating and drinking? How does poo look?

7. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    Her poop looks normal, but a little dryer then normal
    I did sterilize every thing I used.
    I had her on Baytril, but only for a few days. I just gave her some more. will the baytril help her?

Like I said I dont think I got it all out. It was REALLY bleeding. I could not see a thing. I dont think I really did a good job, I got some stuff out but I dident know what was the good from the bad [​IMG]

What should i do?
    I dont want to lose this hen [​IMG]

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    you may have to do the surgery again. From the pics I have seen bumblefoot has like a super gross thick puss.

9. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Baytril is a pretty good antibiotic (and I think it is broad spectrum as well) and I would think would be good; you may want to get her on a longer course of antibiotics and perhaps suppliment diet with extra protein and vitamins.

That was a pretty impressive operation! She is lucky to have you as a mom...

Allison

10. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    If it was me I would open it back up and do some good soaks w/ epsom and work on it again - really massaging all around to get all of the infection broken loose. You may have better luck with being able to see now, as it may not bleed as much this time.

It looks like there may still be infected tissue in the main pad. But the toes do look better.

May also be a good idea to have her on vitamins and electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by