Bumblefoot Surgery one icky picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenderft chick, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well, went and did surgery on DD today for her bumblefoot. Things didn't quite go as it shows in the directions on the how to page under diseases.

We pulled off the scab [​IMG] as you can see her foot is pretty swollen. Just didn't see the foot as been running around dealing with the other 18 meat chickens we got, trying to find a job etc etc.

Anyways. We cut off scab and nothing, no plug no cottage cheese, couldn't get anything out but stringy bloody gunk, so we ended up just cutting off the whole swollen part of the foot. We couldn't really soak foot because no water in the house today due to road construction going on, but I didn't want her to wait another day in pain.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DD is now out in hospital cage covered up to recover and bandaged up but foot is still bleeding. Any ideas on what to do to stop?

We have to do her other foot (not as bad and swollen as this one) but not sure of myself now.

What are some good things to give her to help revitalize due to lost blood. She will have water with electrolytes added, anything else?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Try applying corn starch to the foot to stop bleeding [​IMG] Hope it gets better.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    One of my hens was showing the signs of the beginning of bumble foot, I applied antibiotic cream (no caine product) a few times a day and it went away on it's own. Maybe you can try that instead of cutting it open.

Quote:

4. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    corn starch is great for stoping bleeding, i did that when my roos spur came off when it got stuck in something. aply corn starch, and wrap sucurely with guaze. good luck!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You cut off her WHOLE footpad???

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    YIKES! I think you may be right, that's what they seem to have written. [​IMG]

Quote:You cut off her WHOLE footpad???

7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    You can try making a poultice out of yarrow leaves and plantain works too. Yarrow is an excellent blood coagulant found all over the place. Just make sure there is no weed spray. Quick mountain first aid treatments that work like a charm.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If the footpad was cut out, direct pressure to the bottom of the foot must be applied to stop the bleeding. I highly recommend penicillin injections be given, here's a link on how to do it and what to use: Post #2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75288
    Maintain pressure on the wound using several layers of gauze slathered with neosporin, wrap the the foot snuggly with vet wrap, but not tight enough to stop blood flow. She should be seperated in a cage or crate and closely monitored. Provide poultry nutri drench mixed in her water and give her no more that 2 drops by mouth daily til the foot stops bleeding and starts to scab...use an eyedropper to dose her orally with the nutri drench. Provide her with scrambled egg and buttermilk mixed in her feed to keep her strength up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by