1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot Surgery Seems Successful

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrianM, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    After getting confirmation here that one of my hens did indeed have bumblefoot I followed the instructions in the surgery thread and seemed to be successful. The dark scab on the bottom of the foot was huge, nearly the size of a dime. After I cut around it and pulled with a pair of tweezers it came out along with a big gnarly piece of infected cheese funk. In this case this was nearly all of the bumble. I rinsed, massaged and dug around for a while but only found one other little small piece of cheese in there. Spent quite a bit of time so am pretty sure I got it all. Immediately the big bulge on the top of the foot went away. Packed the hole with Neosporin and wrapped her up good. It was late when I got done so after a minute of standing there getting used to the bandage she jumped right up on the roost for the night. This morning she was out pecking around in the run like normal. She doesn't seem to even notice the bandage.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

This is what it looked like before.

[​IMG]

Here is the big old chunk that came out in pretty much one piece.

[​IMG]

All wrapped up

[​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Very good, I have done a procedure like this on a rooster once and it is completely amazing at what comes out of their foot. Good job and TY for sharing, you have been brave!

3. BrianM

BrianM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    Ugh. Also noticed yesterday that it looks like all five of my hens have fowl pox. At least its the dry version. Guess living in South Louisiana with all of the mosquitoes around here it is probably inevitable. They all seem to be doing fine except for the little wart looking spots on their combs. Guess this also explains why egg production has been way down for the last week or so. I thought it was just the heat. At least they all have it at the same time and apparently won't get it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by