Bumblefoot Surgery - What antibiotic do I use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LivvyChicky, Jan 22, 2016.

1. LivvyChicky

LivvyChicky Out Of The Brooder

Hello, [​IMG]
    I am planning to do surgery on my chicken's feet seeing as she has bumblefoot. I have read other threads to use 'Neosporin' antibiotic after the surgery to help it heal and prevent infections. But, I live in Australia and the chemists said I need a doctor's prescription to get it. [​IMG]
    I have looked on eBay and found this: (which I am wondering if I could use this instead?)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/First-Ai...905970?hash=item25b2a45c72:g:SYwAAOSwwE5WZath

If you don't think this a safe idea to put on my chicken's foot, please comment and/or suggest other triple antibiotic ointments.

Thank you [​IMG]

2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    Honey. Dip your finger in some and dab it on. Works PERFECT. Used it a few weeks ago on my chooks eye after removing a husk that was embedded.

Honey works where other antibiotics fail. Antibiotics have been so overused in the last few decades that the situation is getting desperate with anti-biotic resistant strains of infection popping up. Honey kills all. google for yourself all the articles and news on it. It's now all the rage, but it has always been the best. bees have been dealing with bacteria for 20 times longer than humanity has been around.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Looks like that product is comparable to Neosporin just make sure you get doesn't have anything ending in "caine".
    There are some great threads here on BYC.
    I found another by the chicken chick that you might find useful.
    Hope all goes well, post some pics if you can, we love learning about things[​IMG]

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Just a link to neosporin for comparison:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-NEOS...962817?hash=item2ca14127c1:g:p-8AAOSwMmBV7FNW

4. LivvyChicky

Thanks guys for your fast and informative help!
    I will try to remember to snap a few pictures during the surgery :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. LivvyChicky

Also, a few other things I forgot to ask were:
    1. How many times do I apply the ointment to the foot a day?
    2. How long do I continue applying it for?
    3. Do I just dab it on the outside of the foot, or do I put a bit in the actual hole-thing which is left after surgery?
    Thanks, help is much appreciated :)

6. GodofPecking

Dec 16, 2015
    For the harsh chemicals you buy, you should read the side effects and instructions. Often the chemicals kill the surrounding tissues and have to be washed off before they do that, or they're not effective and have to be attempted several times.

For honey, it's safe to leave on. I didn't worry about flushing out my hen's eye because she didn't seem bothered. You can pour drinking water over it after 5 minutes or so, that goes well too. It's too gentle on macro organisms to worry about irritation and it won't kill cells. The Glucose Octase enzymes in honey which produce the hydrogen peroxide which nukes all bacteria regulates their output, keeping the levels perfect for killing microorganisms ( bugs ) but not macroorganisms ( chooks / people ).

You can reapply honey whenever, but once day is more than enough to nuke new bugs. The body would be able to deal with what is left after a single nuking.

There are thousands or millions of articles and news reports about it. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=honey+++antibiotic-resistant&tbm=nws&tbs=ar:1

forget Manuka, regular honey is best. Manuka is just honey with extra advertising.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  7. LivvyChicky

Thank you so much GodOfPecking! :D
    I have decided to switch to using honey instead of ointment :)
    I am so glad to have asked as my chickens will be much safer and happier because of you!
    Thank you!!!! :thumbsup

8. GodofPecking

Dec 16, 2015
    You're welcome.

Also, my Lovely Rhode Island Red pullet whose eye I treated last time I used honey still seems to hesitate to let me hold her, probably because she remembers the initial sting in her eye. However, as her eye is perfect and she is Picture Perfect healthy, a real pin-up showgirl, I'll be ok with that.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is a good post that describe how a vet treated bumblefoot:

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by