Bumblefoot surgery, what is this new area ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Babe77, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    Last week I noticed one of our girls limping. Was able to round her up and the tell tale black scab was on her swollen pad.

The hubby and I attempted to do the surgery on her Sunday and ended up getting the scab off. We worked on her for 1 1/2 hrs, soaking it and digging at it and soaked it some more and dug more but are not sure we got the plug if there is one. We bandaged her up and let her go back to playing with her friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonight we took off the bandage and cleaned it up again and the lower pad near her back toe seems to be softer than previously but from the hole up towards the middle toe is very hard. If you look at the pictures below, there is the hole that we cut open but towards the top of the pad, there is an oval area that is 2 different colors (light and darker middle) to it but not like the scab (this was black) that seems like a callus, thou not sure. The hubby wanted to cut open that part but I am hesitant to have him do that as I do not know what it is.

Any suggestions ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    looks like that is where the infection is gathering now. if you have a needle that you could try and aspirate to see what color fluid you get b4 you decide to dig at it or cut it open.
    But it looks like you may not of gotten all the infection out and she is trying to get another plug.
    If you are not using epsome salt, then DO SO starting now!
    Make a Warm water and epsome salt solution and soak her foot in it for 5-10 min TWICE a day. then dry it off , put on antibiotic ointment and wrap it up again.
    Give her some eggs with buttermilk or vitamins to help boost her immune system and help the healing process.
    The Epsome salt Draws out any Infection, helps to clean and heal the wound, and acts as a natural pain killer for her.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]
    Best Wishes,

--laura--

3. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    what I also should have said is that that area was there on Sunday prior to us doing the 1st surgery (look at the 1st picture with the blue vetwrap just before wrapping it up)

The soaking we have done was with the Epsom salts in warm water for about 10 min.

On Sunday we dug out some gunk but did not get out a plug. Do you think that even though this area is not the black scab, that we need to pierce that area also and what color fluid would we be looking for?

I guess I am afraid to do damage to something we don't know what it is?

Thanks...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    Quote:Infection X2

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    sorry was hard to tell in the first pic from the view.
    I would try and get the infection out from the other spot. get all the yellow/green, pus color or black tissue that you can see out !
    then clean and back with antibiotic ointment and wrap back up.
    make sure to get her the extra food boost for healing help [​IMG]

--laura--

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would not cut into the one up near the middle toe. That looks like a previous scab that healed on its own. However, the swelling is still there. I recommend that you squeeze the heck out of her footpad to work the infection out after soaking in warm epsom salt water for about 15-20 minutes. Dont be afraid to squeeze hard, try manipulating the infection towards the hole. If nothing but blood comes out after continuous squeezing, flush it with betadine and pack it with neosporin and wrap it up and leave it alone for 2 days. Put her in a cage or crate and provide her feed and water. Look at it on the third day, the swelling should have gone down some, if not...repeat the above procedures. If it has gone down, flush with betadine and repack with neosporin and wait another 2 days. It should be healed by then and you can release her.

7. Babe77

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    dawg... that is exactly what we did last night but nothing but blood came out.

So squeeze up around the top area that appears to be a previous one, squeezing it down towards the open hole?

Should the hubby continue to scrape the inside of existing hole up towards then top area to try to loosen up any gunk?

We are trying to do the right thing for her and are hoping that she gets better [​IMG]

Thanks in advance...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's up to you to decide if you want to go ahead and soak again and cut into the other one. If you do, squeeze it hard like the one you've opened already. Make sure everything is sanitized before you cut into it, no need to spread the bacteria into another cut if there's nothing there (hopefully.) If there's only blood after working on it, use the betadine, neosporin and gauze like on the other one and wrap it up just like the other one. Both should heal quickly within a weeks time. Check for swelling reduction in 2 days...repack and rewrap for another 2 days and check it again.
    If the swelling hasnt gone down or gone away by then, you might consider giving her an antibiotic. One step at a time for now though. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by