Bumblefoot Surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hello44, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Hello44

Hello44 New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster. Anyways, I have a brown leghorn with bumblefoot. I've done a ton of reading and watching videos and decided to tackle the "surgery" myself. Anyways, yesterday, I soaked her foot in Epsom salt bath, cut away scab and went fishing for the core (massage, soaking, etc.) but I wasn't able to find anything that resembled the core I've seen in my research. I did cut a small incision in the top "bubble" which produced a soft, waxy yellow substance, but I'm thinking that was just the infection and not the core. In the main wound, there's a pink fibrous clump in the middle, but no matter how much massaging and working I do, it seems firmly attached to somewhere in the top of her foot. I'm not a huge fan of just aimlessly cutting in her foot. After about an hour (poor girl was a trooper!), I gave up and sprayed Vetryn in the wound, and covered it with Neosporin, a nonstick gauze and some vetwrap. Anyways, today, I unwrapped it, and resoaked it in Epsom salt bath and honestly, it looks exactly the same size as before the surgery (minus the huge black scab). I expected it to a least deflate a little. So I pulled out the tweezers and felt around and still didn't really feel anything hard, other than that pink fibrous clump. I massaged again, but nothing came out. I didn't really do a whole lot more than that because I was feeling bad putting her through 2 days of prodding. Anyways, I didn't get a chance to take pictures but this evening when I rewrap it, I'll try and snap one or two to post. Not sure what to do from here. She's not limping (wasn't before either). Should I just leave it be and keep soaking and applying vetryn spray? Or am I missing the core still? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Pictures will help.
    Where was it located? You mention a scab, but then a top "bubble" as well, was it in two places?
    Soaking and reapplying the veterycin won't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by