Bumblefoot Surgery

jenlt

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2013
Hi there -

I've had chickens for more than 10 years, had a chicken for the 1st time with Bumblefoot. Discovered Monday night. Scab was about the size of a dime, no redness or real inflammation.

Vets that see chickens where I'm from are hard to find or one for sure is about 2 hours away. Called the one 2 hours away & was told they would evaluate & depending on how bad it was, may not remove it. $128 exam & with gas prices as they are, I'd be looking at $75 in gas.

Decided to do it myself. Had a friend help. Started soaking her foot Tuesday night with epsom salt & several essential oils. Soaked again this morning for about 1/2 hour prior to surgery.

I was able to get the scab off, lots of blood, there was a very little thing hanging off (the start of the kernel?), but I couldn't find a kernel. I pushed & squeezed, probed around a bit with the Exacto Knife & that was just cutting straight flesh.

Sorry, no pics, but wondering if it is possible that it hadn't formed a very large kernel because it was caught early? Has anyone else ever experienced that?

I would think that it will be evident within a few bandage changes if it's actually healing, right?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks & have a great night!!! :)

I’ve only had one case ever. In my case, she was limping badly. I soaked, removed the scab, but I never saw the kernel, per se. The scab itself was sort of a lump, I guess. It wasn’t like just a scab that you’d have on yourself. So I always assumed it must have been hooked to the scab. Mine healed up fine with no further issue.
Hoping for the best!

Thanks. I am a bit concerned because everything I read & watched said you need to get it out, but I couldn't just keep tearing at what appears to be perfectly healthy flesh. Yeah, the scab was a bit different, but I never really tore my scabs off. It was a bit pointy in the middle where the little thing was hanging down. Thanks again!!! :)

I have the exact same experience about two months ago. When I removed the scab cutting fairly deep into the foot there was no kernel.I cleaned and wrap the foot and hoped “it” would resolve. It seemed less swelling but now it’s back to the original appearance. Swollen with the black scab. I’m hesitant to cut into it again because of the first time I tried. Did you haveAny success without finding the kernal?Did the foot heal? I just can’t decide what to do. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom