Bumblefoot - Treat one foot at the time or both?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by char259, Aug 19, 2011.

1. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    My SLW hen has it. I noticed what I thought was her limping a few days ago. I've had her since April. She is not an easy bird to catch but catch her I did. It seems that she has maybe a 3 classification on one foot and maybe a 4 on the other. Obviously she's had it more than a few days but did not present with my limping until then.

I've done extensive research and pretty much know what and how I need to go about it... but here is my question. Do I do both feet at the same time? Or one and then the other. I have the means to 'hospital' her away from the flock but keep her close to hopefully cut down on stress.

So. One foot at the time? Or both at once?

Sorry no photos. I was by myself when I caught and examined her and my cell phone was in the house.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It depends. If she can get aroud without being pecked on, I'd say treat both.

3. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Thank you. I guess I'll doctoring them both tomorrow then. She'll be in a large dog kennel in the chicken pen with separate food and water.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Definitely do both at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by