Bumblefoot treatment-apparent success!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epeloquin, May 26, 2012.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have a Ply Rock that got a case of bumblefoot. It began with swelling between her toes. I was watching for the tell tale sore because I was not initially sure. We were gone for a few days of vacation and when we came back the sore had appeared. She did not have the sore before we left.

I noticed her picking at the foot the night before last and that is when I found the sore. It was scabbed over. After consulting posts on bumblefoot I decided to treat her. We soaked the foot in epsom salts and water. Once the scab came off it was a rather angry looking sore that was about 1/2" x 1/4". It did nor have the pasty pus that I have heard tell of. In fact, it did not really have any pus to speak of which tells me that I must have caught it early. I cleansed the wound, put a good amount of Neosporin and wrapped it in a dressing. I can't remember the name of it but it is stretchy and sticks to itself. I wrapped around and between her toes making a little booty.

We brought her in last night (24 hrs after treatment) to change the dressing. I was amazed when I removed the dressing. The wound was already healing over. There was no blood at all. It looked fantastic!

I will do the same tonight and I am hoping for still more improvement. So far everything looks really good!

1 person likes this.
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow I'm so glad it went so well. You did very well. Glad she is all better and is healing well.

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Songster

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Im glad it worked well for you. I am hoping we will have same results. we had one minor ( just black scab, no swelling) the other foot was pretty nasty, 2 black spots and another cut visible on the toe. I tried the soaking and wrapping for a week with pretty much no change, then a friend who works for a vet came and did the soak and surgery method, got a plug and yucky stuff out. I am hoping this will do it. I am keeping her wrapped a few days then will check the progress, so far no swelling of toes and she seems fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: