bumblefoot treatment for 3 yo hen Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7hensandaroo, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 7hensandaroo

7hensandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Yes it's definite bumblefoot. She's been limping for over a month, I thought it was just chicken poop stuck to her pad. It looks quite advanced. Very swollen now, black scab about marble sized. She's not eating too much, will drink a little. Waddles and comb are limp, so she's dehydrated.

I found a few things online. I can't take to vet. Is surgery necessary? Any OTC antibiotics I can give her, or equivalent human kind?

I've been soaking in Epsom salts and putting Betadine solution on with Neosporin but I think the infection has gone systemic and probably need advanced meds.

any links greatly appreciated. I'll even do the surgery if I have to.

update...

I am ready to do surgery tonight.

Question...
    I have 28 guage needles 1/2 inch long It's a subcutaneous I used to give myself b shots.
    Will this be a big enough needle? It looks quite small. Not even sure the Aqueous Pennisillin will be able to be sucked up, we shall find out.
    btw... anyone know off hand how much for a 7 lb chicken?

I"m using the needle to give her a penicillin shot. I used a sharp knife to cut the infection out.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Here's a graphic video of bumblefoot surgery from a very credible source. She owns the blog "The Chicken Chick".

1 person likes this.
  3. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Surgery, even on a foot, is very painful when done without an anesthetic. Surgery on a dehydrated animal is extremely dangerous. Please factor those things in. I would either take to vet or put her down.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Get her hydrated ASAP,give her electrolytes. The infection is going to have to be removed manually,meaning surgery.

1 person likes this.
  5. Blue CopperHen

Blue CopperHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    I followed the Chicken Chicks tutorial with 100% success. The penicillin was very important as it is the only antibiotic by injection that will fight staph. Good luck!

6. Blue CopperHen

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    If the staph has reached the bone , yes. However, my hen did very well and draining the abcess seemed to alleviate a lot of pain.

7. Blue CopperHen

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    A needle will not work. You have to use a scalpel or exacto knife that has been disinfected with a bleach solution. Wear gloves!!

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,what are you using the needle for? Infection in chickens is a solid thick mass,not like liquid pus in other animals. Look at the links others have sent,so you can see how it needs to be removed.

9. 7hensandaroo

7hensandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I gave her a dose of 3/4 of 1cc of penicillin in the breast.

I soaked the foot, pulled out the black scab/plug. No sign of a "hard kernel looking thing.

I then cut a dime size portion of her pad straight across, it bled like the dickens. I tried to dig it out but it was just bleeding too much, I squeezed and felt around but couldn't get any "kernel looking thing out. It looked all like healthy skin, no pus, nor horrible smell. I just couldn't keep digging anymore. I held it till the bleeding slowed down and wrapped it with Neosporin and Vetwrap.

I pray I got it all but time will tell. I will continue the abx.

I really don't want to do that again[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by