Bumblefoot treatment help

jadazee

Hatching
Aug 5, 2019
Hi all,

Last night as i was sorting my chooks out for the night i noticed one of my hens had a swollen foot. so had a look and it appeared that she has bumblefoot.
Ive never had a bumblefoot case before so did a heap of research about treatment and this morning did what i had seen to be the best at home treatment. I soaked her foot in warm water with some iodine in it for a good half hour and then managed to easily remove the scab and core of the infection. Then applied betadine and gauze and bandaged her foot up with self adhesive vet wrap and she seems to be completley fine. (no limping or anything, just confused about the dressing on her foot haha)

However i do just have a couple queries from people with experience with bumblefoot.
Because of where i live it is very hard to buy antibiotic ointment (like neosporin - cant buy it in my country at all in fact) without a prescription, and all i have on me right now is iodine and betadine. Is this going to be enough to kill the infection off?
I will be replacing the dressing and re applying betadine every 24-48 hours.

I may have a friend (who is a nurse) try to get me some antibiotic ointment but there is no garuntee that she will be able to - or that what she can get is suitable for chickens.

Also should point out about vets - again, where i live it is very hard to find exotic or avian vets that have the knowledge to treat chickens, and would certainly rather not have to drive hours (although i will if it doesn't appear to be getting any better, dont worry)

Any advice or treatment recommendations or advice will be very much appreciated as I've never had any bumblefoot issues before :)

Thanks

Also attached a photo of my hen checking out her funky new bandage haha shes a real cutie

Attachments

• IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Hi there. If you can find anything that fights staph that would be your best option. I've read that people use Neosporin but I also read a study that it forms a barrier and can hold in bacteria making an infection worse. Ichthamol ointment is supposed to work.

Another option if it's available to you
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vet-suggestion-for-non-invasive-bumblefoot-cure.303829/

Thanks heaps :) just heard back from my friend and she has some Bactroban which kills staph so will get that tonight. I just unwrapped her foot to change the dressing and its already looking heaps better :)

Thanks heaps :) just heard back from my friend and she has some Bactroban which kills staph so will get that tonight. I just unwrapped her foot to change the dressing and its already looking heaps better :)
That's great news! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom