Bumblefoot treatments

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Aug 9, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Ok, I have two birds with the onset of bumblefoot. No surprise with the way our land is. Plenty of grass, but still some rough areas or rocks sticking out. No swelling yet, but clearly the dark spot with the ring around it. I'm debating course of action, and wonder what the preferred choice is.

Epson salt soaking with removal of plug, followed with wrapping containing antibiotic ointment is one choice. Downside you have a wound to care for and no swimming, meaning isolation from the flock.

Non removal options are:

Lincomycin 50 to 100 mg per bird per day for 7 to 10 days.

Doxycycline 50 to 100 mg per bird per day for 7 to 10 days.

Amoxicillin at the rate of 250 mg per bird per day for 10 to 14 days and in some cases 500 mg per bird per day may be necessary but give it twice per day for 10 to 14 days.

Cephalexin capsules work well in soft tissue and should be given at the rate of one 250 mg capsule once or twice per day for 7 to 10 days.

Baytril capsules 22.7 mg once per day for one week.

What is your guys experience, and what seems to work the best. I can get all the meds at my local vet, I just have to tell them what I need. Are any of them available at the feed store? I have to check on that one.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I had an issue with a swollen foot/limping and a lump on my Sebastapol goose. Hers was to the point where she wouldn't walk around the yard and I picked her up and the foot was burning hot from infection. I used a product called Pimafix , it's for fish but worked great on this as well. I soaked her foot in some water with Pimafix that I got at Earl May's, they also sell it at the pet stores. She improved within a few days and I continued for about 4days and then let her out of seclusion.

3. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I tried to get the listed medicines, they are all prescription only. =/

4. Marwan

Marwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Is the 250mg amoxicillin per day human amoxicillin or not?

5. Novaleigh

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Today is day two of White Tips bumblefoot recovery attempt. I have her in salt soaks, penicillin shots, and neosporin smothered all over the infected area. She is living in my bathroom (walk in shower) right now, where the all natural stone tiling in my walk in shower is cool to her feet. It seems to be going well! Her swollen foot (both have that dreaded black spot on the underside of the foot, but only one foot is swollen and hot) is not as hot to the touch today. She is not limping as badly today. She is not panting as much today, actually, she has stopped panting. Seems to be working! Do you like her fancy bandaging? I think she likes it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, what a sweetie peach! And she carries off her elegant look even with the bandage! Bravo!
    Sounds like you are doing all you can! I had a Rhode Island Red when I was a little kid. Is that what she is?

7. Novaleigh

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    She is half Rhode Island Red, great call! She is a Red Star [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    awww.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by