Bumblefoot tricide Neo question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Davidhalpern2, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I've been dealing with a recouring case of Bumblefoot on one toe for 4 months! I've done numerous surgeries. The infection disappears after a round of penicillin and then returns. I then tried a round of Clindamyacin and again it returned. I'm about to try Tricide Neo soaks, but find conflicting information on line. Some say once a day for 5 mins, some say once a day for 10 mins, some say twice a day for 5 mins, some say for a week, some say for two weeks.
    I'd be interested to hear from people who have had SUCESS with Tricide Neo and learn what worked for them.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have treated my hen twined with Tricide neo-and it has not help. She is still limping. I pick up every little gravel that I see in their run.when she was young she was famous for going into the bushes and scratching. I have some hens that is older than she is .and so far they do not have bumble foot.

3. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    Twiced.sorry for the bad spelling.

4. Davidhalpern2

Jan 29, 2014

What was your treatment? How many soaks per day? For how long? How many days? Did you mix with Distilled water?

5. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    I soaked her foot per directions and yes I did use distilled water.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It really doesnt matter if you soak 5 minutes or 10 minutes once a day or twice a day using Tricide Neo mixed with distilled water. As far as healing time goes, it depends on the size of the infection. Small bumblefoot infections heal quicker in about a weeks time. Larger infections take longer, several weeks or months in some cases. So, healing time varies. I soaked birds for 10 minutes twice a day and had small infections heal in about 5 days. Larger infections took too long and opted minor surgery. I wont use Tricide Neo again, surgery is easier and less costly.

7. Davidhalpern2

Jan 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

Well..... I've done more surgeries on this Bumblefoot over the past 4 months or so than I can remember and it keeps coming back. Kernels keep forming.
    The only time it subsides is when she was on either injectable penicillin or Clindamyacin. So...... Tricide Neo is m last hope before amputation.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I have treated two hens with tricide neo with success, however the infection was minor, they both had a small scab, no inflammation nor redness and after 2 or 3 weeks, the scab was gone. I have also treated a hen with small scabs (one in each foot) and after 6 weeks of soaking, one foot got hot (meaning the infection was worse) so I ended up taking her to the vet for surgery. She later died of complications due to the surgery's stress, that also happened to another hen that had surgery for bumble foot. So at this point, since I do not have anybody to help me do surgery and taking them to the vet has not worked so far, I am treating my hens with tricide neo. I have one right now with a small scab, she is on her third week of soaks and I am willing to spend all the time it takes for her to heal. Tricide Neo has worked for me in some cases and it has not in others and I really could not say why it worked or didn't. I have been consistent with mixing the crystals in distilled water, I make a fresh batch every 6 days, I soak their feet for 10 minutes every day.

I have also figured out that it does not matter how careful you are in the chicken yard, they will always get bumble foot one way or another. I have lowered my roosts,I have sand on both coops and run, I have taken gravel out of their free range area. Chickens scratch because that is their nature and by doing so, there are always going to be tears in their feet. I inspect them often in order to catch the infection soon and treat them with tricide neo in hopes that it works because at this point it is my only option.

9. Davidhalpern2

Jan 29, 2014
    Update..... After 3 1/2 weeks of soaking 2x p/d in Tricide Neo for 10 min each soak I had to do another surgery today! looks like a fish remedy isn't going to work on my chicken! I suspect I'll have to amputate the infected toe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by