Bumblefoot tricide neo treatment in the cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Life is Good!, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I've been treating a Black Java hen for bumblefoot. So far, it's been mild enough that I can treat her in the run. But tomorrow's HIGH temp is going to be 36! Eep!

How do you treat bumblefoot with tri-cide neo in the cold? I'd really rather not bring her indoors to treat (open floorplan - no real way to confine hen and me except in bathroom). Would really like to continue treatment with chicken shoes - but afraid of frostbite or worse with the cold.

Anyone have experience on this? This poor hen is also roo's favorite, so just today (in the rain), I noticed she's missing a fair amount of head feathers due to his affections. He's got five girls to choose from....No blood or redness, although if I bring her in to treat feet tomorrow, she'll get a blu-kote 'hairdo' too! Yes, I'll post pictures if I do it!

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Do you have a dog/cat crate to put her in so she can't be bothered by the roo and then just treat her in there. Hope she gets better.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Soaking her foot in tricide neo only requires 5-7 minutes twice a day maximum. You cant soak her foot inside for that amount of time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by