Bumblefoot Troubles

allyclair

Chirping
Apr 16, 2015
I'm currently treating a rooster for bumblefoot without success. About 2-3 weeks ago he was limping and I discovered the bumblefoot scabs on both feet. He has a couple red, swollen areas on the top of his toes. Shortly after noticing the bumblefoot I started soaking his feet every second day and was able to remove both scabs. I kept his feet bandaged and wrapped in between soakings. I tried to find the kernel with no luck. All I managed to remove were a few stringy pieces of pus, the blood kept me from being able to see much of anything.

The swelling has not gone down. I'm assuming the infection is still in there just as bad as before but I'm not sure how to find it. Yesterday I used a scalpel to make a small slice across the top of the worst swollen area, but it looked like normal tissue inside. I used a small set of tweezers to probe down about 1/2 inch but no sign of pus.

He has been eating and drinking but not as much as usual. He spends most of his time lying down but will get up and hobble around every hour or so.

Is there a way to tell if the infection has spread? I don't want to keep putting him through the treatments if it is only prolonging his suffering.

Thanks

If you're not seeing a kernel or pus then fill the hole/opening with neosporin. Tape a band aid over the hole and a skinny strip of vet wrap over that. Repeat every other day. It takes a while for inflammation to recede and sometimes the foot has stretched out skin and deformity after. But function is still there. I have free ranging hens. Sometimes I will see scabs but they aren't always bumble foot so I leave them alone. Redness and limping does mean intervention and you did good there.

Can you post some photos?

With your soakings, are you adding epsom salts to your water?
Applying any triple antibiotic ointment to the feet after the soaking?

You can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see if you get better results. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/513183/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo (instructions post#2).

If you feel they are badly infected, he may also need some antibiotic treatment, if you have a vet that can prescribe some, that would be best.

Do the best you can to encourage him to stay hydrated. Offer some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg, tuna, beef liver, etc.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies, the foot soaks are in Epsom salt water, and yes I had been packing the holes in the bottom of his feet with neosporin ointment. The bottoms of his feet healed up but the tops still have 3-4 red swollen areas between the two of them.

It's a holiday here, but I will try and find a vet who will prescribe strong antibiotics. None of our local vets look at chickens, but I have heard of one an hour or so from me.

I just cleaned and bandaged late last night but will take a few photos at the next bandage change.

Thanks again for the help.

What is cause of this bout of bumble foot? Have you done that? Chronic bumble foot I have seen associated with not correcting conditions that promote it in the first place. Otherwise you will find yourself in a situation that involves sustained use of antibiotics and wound treatment.

Look up trench foot.

What is cause of this bout of bumble foot? Have you done that? Chronic bumble foot I have seen associated with not correcting conditions that promote it in the first place. Otherwise you will find yourself in a situation that involves sustained use of antibiotics and wound treatment.

Look up trench foot.
I'm not sure of the cause, but the reason it got so bad is that I hadn't been checking his feet, I only noticed when he started limping about a month ago. The first 2 weeks I brought him into the house at night so he wouldn't be roosting, and only put him out in the coop late in the day for a few hours. But for the past 2 weeks he's been in a cage in the house full time. Well, he actually has the run of the main area of the house when I'm home but is in the cage when I'm out, and at night.

I'm at a point where I am not seeing improvement and just don't know whether to try strong antibiotics or if I should try and open up the swollen area to look for the infection. I've never dealt with bumblefoot before but after this, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

He's a really big Brahma and from what I've read it could be the height of his roost that caused it. Though he's been in that coop for 5 years and never had a problem until now. He always free ranged our property so a cut in his foot pad would have been pretty likely too.

Thanks for your reply

I have done bumblefoot surgery on my leghorn twice. The swelling seems to be getting worse
She came from a farm with 200 plus chickens. Please advise

Attachments

• IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 8
I have done bumblefoot surgery on my leghorn twice. The swelling seems to be getting worse
She came from a farm with 200 plus chickens. Please advise
This is the second surgery from her toe, which is already 1/2 length it should be

Back
Top Bottom