bumblefoot-update 8-23

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Aug 22, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Now it looks like three of my girls have it. I've read thru all the reasons, and can't find one that explains it.
    Anyway, Thru all the reading I did, I am going to try Ichthammol, apparently it's the best drawing salve, and people use it too. It's also has fungicidal and bacteriocidal effects as well. I put a glob on a piece of gauze, put it under a foot, and taped around it. It draws out infection. Hope it works.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Oh no not BF! Best of luck to your babies.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Bumblefoot is a staph infection in the foot. Staph germs are everywhere, they even live on your skin as you read this......

The most likely cause are rough surfaces on the roost, the roost being too high or somewhere where they are injuring the foot pad.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And if you live somewhere like I do, everything has a rough surface except inside the coop and pen. Wooded areas, glass and metal in old burnpiles that perk to the top of the soil after a rainstorm, rocks with rough edges, etc, etc. I feel for you, Karen. It's an awful thing to deal with constantly like I do. The only way to stop it is to stop them freeranging.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, what a pain. My coop is full of shavings, the highest roost is 4 feet, and what they stand on is 2 x 4's flat side up. Most of the yard is sugar sand or grass. I'll keep thinking and looking . Maybe it'll hit me.
    Maybe it's stickers on weeds?

6. speckledhen

Could be. We have this thorny vine called cowvine or greenbriar that is everywhere! Ouch. Quite a pesky plant here in the woods. Twines around stuff, will keep trees from growing up properly. I've often thought it might be that. Goats will eat it, but I dont have any.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, as I said I could not find a reason. Well I did today. Out of the 14 chickens that roost in the coop, the 3 that have it are the only ones that roost on the top bar sometimes. The top bar is a 2 x 2 nailed to studs holding the roost up. It wasn't meant to be used, as the 2 x 2 is turned with a pointy edge (corner) up. I didn't think they'd use it because it's so close to the wall, but those three do use it. So I rolled up a towel and tied it to the bar. It's nice and cushy now.
    Also, the 2 polish who sleep outside have a roost bar, but have started sleeping on the peak of the dog house inside the run . I ran a few pieces of wire above the peak so they can't get up there.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well my first day of surgery is complete. I took each of my 3 girls and wrapped one up in a towel. Then I used one of those surgical scrubs that the docs use. Then I rinsed with betadine. Then I let it dry off some. Then I took a sterile scalpel and picked off the scab. On my Ameraucana-Valerie, she had a swelled bubble on top of her foot as well, so I lanced it, and goop came oozing out. I rinsed again with betadine and put ichthammol on with a piece of gauze, plastic wrap, and tape. Then of course a treat!
    My three patients are really a sorry site. They all have a homemade cast, and duct tape on their backs to protect them from the roo. I think they have more tape than feathers, LOL

9. speckledhen

Poor girls! My Meg is always hurting in her feet. They are slightly crooked and the pad hits the ground at an off angle, probably making hers worse. Hope your girls do well in the sick-ward.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Thanks, Cynthia. They're not in the sick ward, they are being treated as out-patients, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by