Bumblefoot update... can they go back in the coop?

Kate E

Chirping
Jun 30, 2017
Wisconsin
On Sunday I did some treatment for bumblefoot on two of my five chickens. We live in Wisconsin where it is already winter which means its constantly cold and damp. I've been keeping the two chickens in my garage in a large dog crate with food and water. Its about 50 degrees in the garage and about 30-35 degrees outside. I unwrapped the chickens feet today and it looks like they are healing but I am still not confident I got all of the infection out of either of them. I'm not too concerned as both birds only had a small spot on their feet. They're still very active, running around like crazy with no signs of discomfort. Anyway, some concerns I'm having...
1. I think the girls in the garage may be depressed and I'm not 100% positive they're eating. I've got feed and water in the cage for them and I've been sprinkling their favorite treats in the cage but it's difficult to tell if they're consuming anything. They won't eat if I'm staring at them so its hard to say. They have been in the crate since Sunday morning so I don't want to keep them in there too much longer if they aren't eating.
2. Have they been in the garage sheltered from the cold for too long to just put them back in the coop without reintroducing them to the cold weather? It's about a 20 degree difference from the garage to the outside temps.
3. It is damp outside and their run is mostly dirt. I have a thick layer of straw down but my chickens are crazy about scratching around so eventually they hit cold, wet dirt. I can't put them back in the coop with their feet wrapped because they'll just end up walking around in muddy wraps. It's also near impossible to catch the birds because they HATE to be held. Am I doing the wrong thing putting them back in the coop, feet unwrapped, before their feet have fully recovered? I have them unwrapped in the cage tonight. I cleaned the feet and applied neosporin without pain medicine before putting them back in the cage. Will they be okay unwrapped in the coop?
4. Also worried about keeping them separated from the other 3 chickens for too long as I don't want a difficult reintroduction.

So, basically I'm struggling with keeping them in the garage vs. putting them back in the coop. I have eyes on them daily but picking them up and inspecting them daily once they are back in the coop is not an option- it took hours to catch these 2 on Sunday. I know it is recommended you handle them early in the morning or in the evening when they are in the coop and relaxed but we live on a large piece of property and the coop is no where near our house, doing anything in the pitch dark and freezing cold just isn't an option.

Any reassurance that I can put them back in the coop tomorrow morning and they will be back to business as usual would be appreciated- or just other advice. I should mention, both birds are in a pretty heavy molt so them potentially not eating while in the garage is that much more concerning.

THANKS!

So many conflicting emotions and concerns! I sympathize. I really do. I know you want to do what's best for your little patients.

First of all, if the bumblefoot was small and shallow, it's going to heal very quickly. You've probably delivered all the necessary care that is needed. Turning your patients loose should not hurt their continuing recovery as long as a nice sturdy scab has formed.

You should check on the progress of the healing though after a couple of days. This means you will need to set your alarm for predawn and trek through the cold and freezing mud down to the coop and snag your patients off their perch and bring them back to the house for an examination to be sure the healing is still taking place. Suck it up! You can do it!

As for thrusting the chickens back out into the cold dark freezing night, they can handle it better than you can.

So many conflicting emotions and concerns! I sympathize. I really do. I know you want to do what's best for your little patients.

First of all, if the bumblefoot was small and shallow, it's going to heal very quickly. You've probably delivered all the necessary care that is needed. Turning your patients loose should not hurt their continuing recovery as long as a nice sturdy scab has formed.

You should check on the progress of the healing though after a couple of days. This means you will need to set your alarm for predawn and trek through the cold and freezing mud down to the coop and snag your patients off their perch and bring them back to the house for an examination to be sure the healing is still taking place. Suck it up! You can do it!

As for thrusting the chickens back out into the cold dark freezing night, they can handle it better than you can.

Thanks for the reply! no scabs yet... they've been wrapped with anticeptic on their feet since Sunday so the "wounds" are still damp. I didn't rewrap them tonight, just cleaned their feet and put some neosporin on them, I thought letting them breathe and dry out a bit may be helpful before putting them back in the coop. I think I am going to put them back in the coop tomorrow and check on them on Friday morning- early. Fingers crossed. I'm really most concerned that they aren't eating while separated and in the garage, I don't want to make a bumblefoot situation worse by starving them out for days while they recover in the dog cage. I've never in my life stressed about any pet the way I do about these birds. It's crazy!

Yes, I agree the two should be returned to the flock for their well being. However, if the wounds are still moist, they need to continue to be bandaged. What are you using for the outer wrap?

I use elastic vet wrap. It does a fantastic job of keeping the wounds clean and dry if wrapped securely. I dress the wound with the antibiotic ointment then place a non-stick pad over it, then wrap with a sixteen inch long one-inch wide strip of vet wrap.

I return my patients to the flock immediately after surgery, and the wrap usually keeps all the dirt out. I check and re-bandage every two days, though. If the wound is large and deep, they get Epsom salt soaks with each re-bandage until the wound scabs up well.

I have a hen that came to me with the worst case of bumblefoot I ever saw after her entire flock was killed by a bobcat. That was two years ago, and I've been fighting her bumblefoot ever since. Finally, I did one more surgery and put her on a powerful antibiotic. Hopefully, I will never have to mess with her feet again. She's also the world's most uncooperative and ungrateful patient.

So I sympathize with you for wanting to be done with these two patients of yours, especially since winter's here and it makes everything that much more unpleasant and difficult. But you need to see this care all the way through or risk having to keep doing it over and over until you get it right.

I urge you to keep up with the care, even though it's going to involve a lot of effort and sacrifice. It will be worth it when you see the feet have healed.

Back
Top Bottom