Bumblefoot without scab?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gypsytumbleweed, Jul 4, 2015.

1. gypsytumbleweed

gypsytumbleweed In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2015
    I am a very new newbie with chickens. This gal started limping and sitting down quite a bit a week or so ago. I wasn't smart enough to check her feet right away. When I did, one of her toes was blue-ish and there was a little bit of swelling. It didn't look like the pictures of bumblefoot, so initially I though she'd sprained something jumping off a bale of straw in her pen. I isolated her and started doing daily epsom salt & tea tree oil soaks, sprayed the foot with vetricyn and wrapped it. After soaking the foot, she has very little balance & kind of looks drunk.. (this drunk condition seems to resolve after some time back in the crate, but I have since noticed the same drunk symptoms once not related to soaking her feet where she was very off balance, falling over and had to lean on the sides of the dog crate she's hospitalized in to stay upright..). Yesterday after unwrapping her foot prior to a soak, I noticed the bottom of her foot has a raised area that looks like its swelling. This looks more like the pictures of bumblefoot I've seen, but there is no scab.. So, I'm looking for advice. Do you all think its bumblefoot or something else? (She is eating and drinking, but seems very thin to me)

First picture is bottom of foot. Second is top of foot showing toe that looks swollen. THANK YOU![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nupe

Nupe Songster

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    She may have a foot injury that is now infected. I would start her on antibiotics and maybe a little pain med. Also, check all over the foot for the scab. The bottom is the normal spot but it has been known to show up on any part of the swelling. The feathered feet might make it harder to find. Other than that, keep her isolated and continue the soaking and make sure her nutrition remains optimal while you spoil her. [​IMG]

3. gypsytumbleweed

Jul 4, 2015
    Thank you Nupe. I checked both of her feet thoroughly a little while ago and no scab (or anything else that doesn't look like it belongs). It's obviously uncomfortable to her as she doesn't like putting weight on it. I will start penicillin tonight. If you know... If it is bumblefoot, will the penicillin kill it without opening the wound? She is outside now getting a little fresh air and sunshine (something we haven't had a lot of recently in OH).

4. Nupe

Nupe Songster

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
  5. gypsytumbleweed

Jul 4, 2015
    Ok, thanks. Her legs seem quite strong (as fights/protests bathing her foot, bandaging, etc). The swollen area on the bottom of her foot reminds me of a very large pimple working towards developing a head. Thanks for the advice!

6. KelliR

KelliR In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    The Chicken Chick has a blog full of info. Just look up thechickenchick.com. She had a featured article yesterday on Bumblefoot that you may find interesting.

7. KelliR

KelliR In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
  8. gypsytumbleweed

Jul 4, 2015
    Yes, thank you I read that article and all the threads on backyard chickens and others. They all mention a dark colored scab, which is not currently present on the chickens foot. Before I subject the poor thing (& myself LOL) to cutting into her foot, I want to try to be fairly certain it is bumble foot.

9. gypsytumbleweed

Jul 4, 2015
    Wanted to thank you all for the suggestions you gave me. We performed bumblefoot surgery this morning and were able to extract a kernel along with pus. Following up with pen-g shots (sticking a skinny chicken isn't easy!). She was a trooper!! I think it was harder on me than her. But I'm happy to have the experience under my belt as it helps build my "chicken confidence".

[​IMG]

10. KelliR

KelliR In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    So awesome! Congrats on a successful surgery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: