bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joojy, Jun 21, 2016.

1. joojy

joojy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    2 of my roosters have bad bumble foot. We tried treating it when they first had it, and took one to the vet. It didn't; get better. We could not find the kernel. Last week, I took the roosters to the vet and was told that it was too far gone and that I should put them down. The roosters are still mating, and eating. They do limp..... I can't kill them, I can keep draining the foot, but it won't stay better.
    any ideas?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos of the feet and legs?

Did the vet try any treatment or prescribe any medication?

3. joojy

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    The vet gave no medication. The vet explained how to pull the plug out, but we never found it. Now my daughter says her third rooster has it. I cleaned his feet, and look and scraped. I saw nothing, however his toes and nails on both feet are deformed.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures really would help us. Do you know any other poultry people in your area? There are many state threads here on BYC, which is a good way to meet other chicken people. Most people with flocks know a bit about bumblefoot. If you Google "bumblefoot in chickens" or do a search here at the top of the page, there are some good links to read with videos of bumblefoot surgery, especially by TheChickenChick and others. Sometimes with bumblefoot, warm epsom salts or betadine soaks and then doing the surgery helps. You have to cut a bit deeply sometimes,mand it can require a lot of squeezing in different directions to get the core out.

1 person likes this.
  5. joojy

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    let me do pictures, but I think they are pretty far gone.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Please post pics. I have done bumblefoot surgery on a couple of my chickens. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. I have to head to work now, so hopefully you can post pics today? The infection will spread through the body. So, being proactive is the key.

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Any updates? The infection can spread and lead to death. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by