Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bigbird, Nov 13, 2016.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    When sound neo tricide soaks, should an antibiotic be given? If yes, what, how long and how much? Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How bad is bumble? sometimes you can fix it by soaking then using clear iodine over the bumble then waiting a few days treat again and keep treating till you can easily remove the scab with your finger nail it should come up easy so as not to tear skin. then you soak and let it heal by keeping the bird on clean shavings you can pack with antibiotic ointment and wrap if you like. Sometimes when you pull up the scab the bumble comes out with it sometimes you just find a hole with nothing there. This treatment has to be clear iodine something about the ammonia in it that draws the bumble.

3. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    The bumble in goose is pretty bad. I will get some clear iodine and also do the tricide-neo soaks. Should't hurt, right?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sure couldn't hurt. if it is involving all of the foot [heat swelling] you might want to start on oral antibiotics also.

Please keep updating.

5. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Would you know if tricide-neo, which is um sure a "name" brand, is the same thing as Niacin sulfate? IF it is, it about 800% less expensive. I've posted this question, but haven't had anyone respond.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea did you look up both for ingredient comparison ?Most of us soak in Epsom salt not neo.

7. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Interesting I never heard of "clear iodine". I wonder where to get it, regular pharmacy? Is it chemically different from the red stuff?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Clear or colorless iodine has ammonia in it and suppose to draw the bumble to the surface. I have used the reg and clear And the clear works much better. I haven't had to use it on my water fowl only a few my chickens. Pharmacy at Walmart carries it around here and CVS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by