1. Adam n Angie

Adam n Angie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Sioux Falls
    Our hen had bubblefoot about a month ago which we treated at home and it seemed healed up and she was doing good. Then she molted and throughout the weeks she went downhill. We brought her to her food and water daily. She ate and drank half heartedly. Today I found her dead.
    Could this be because of the bumblefoot?
    She had no other symptoms.
    I'm heartbroken, she was my very first hen 3 years ago. She was my baby.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Oh wow, that is the first time I have heard of a chicken actually dying from bumblefoot.
    I think that the bumblefoot could have been the cause of her death. If you don't get all of it out, then it can travel to her brain or other vital organs and kill her. It doesn't happen very often at all, though, so it could've been something else.
    Internal laying could've caused it. I have had three chickens die from it, and it isn't fun for anyone. What happens is a yolk falls out of her oviduct into her body cavity, and eventually she gets filled with yolks, and it gets infected. That is one possible cause, but it could've been something else.
    So sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

3. Adam n Angie

Aug 30, 2014
    Sioux Falls
    I'm not positive on what happened to her but nothing else seemed to be wrong. I also don't know a lot about chicken illnesses. I have no idea who to go to for help if anything else happens

4. PeepersMama

I haven't ever used a chicken vet. Partly because we can't afford it, and partly because the closest one is waaayy far away. I've only really needed one once though, when we were dealing with what we think was mareks.I don't know a whole lot about chicken diseases either, just enough. I wuold recommend getting a copy of the chicken health handbook. It was written by Gail damerow, who is a chicken expert, and she is amazing! She has also written the Chicken Encyclopedia, which is probably my favorite book that she has written.
    If you ever have a chicken who dies of either extremly bad sickness (i.e., not moving at all, sick for days, etc.) or if other birds are acting like the sickie did before they died, then I would get a professional autopsy done. It is a great help in determining what exactly happened to your bird and whether or not it is contagious. Here is a link that list the state vet labs - all of them: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/06/chicken-health-poultry-management.html If you ever have any questions about your flock, look it up on this website. The Chicken Chick is the next best thing to Gail herself [​IMG]

If you ever have a chicken with a serious injury though, I suspect that any good vet would do their best to help them.

5. Adam n Angie

Aug 30, 2014
    Sioux Falls
    Thank you so much. We have a few books but were stumped. I'll call the Hotline tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't cost a lot to have an autopsy done

6. PeepersMama

In colorado, the head vet/autopsy giver said that it usually averages at about $180, but it only cost me $150. I've heard that it only costs $50 in CA (lucky.) Any extra tests that you want done would cost more, but again, I would only get it done if more than one bird is acting sick.

7. PeepersMama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by