Bumblefoot :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TroyerGal, Dec 13, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, I think I might have a duckie with bumblefoot [​IMG]
    Can anybody tell me how to identity it? She's been limping all day... I'll post pics on the morrow [​IMG]

@Bills vs Beaks
    @NathanZee
    @Spyderk117

I'm counting on your knowledge for this one!! [​IMG]

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I don't really know what it looks like,coz I've never had it happen. I think it's like a big hard blister. But why would she get it? Are they on hard rough surfaces a lot?
    I think @Miss Lydia knows about more this kinda thing...

1 person likes this.
  3. TroyerGal

Our yard is covered in shale. So, yeah.... Its a bit rough

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @TroyerGal can you post a pic? have you checked for splinters etc?

5. TroyerGal

I CAN post a pic... I have to finish chores, but i'll post it by this afternoon [​IMG]
    I didn't see any splinters, I'll look closer

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Run your finger over her whole foot on the bottom and look closely for any cuts or splits in the skin and swelling. Redness and blk scab.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  7. TroyerGal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like this only on her "heel"

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That looks like Bumble Do you have Epsom salt? very inexpensive stuff sold at most grocery stores. Get some and mix into some nice warm water stand her in a bucket or deep bowl I do both feet since it is easier for me. Mix the warm water and ES half cup ES to half gal of warm water mix it up till salt is dissolved then put duck in feet first [don't let her drink the water not only is ES good for Bumble foot but it is a laxative also. Soak for as long as she'll stay still try at least 5 mins. then dry off her foot. Next you want to use colorless or clear iodine on the bumble once you do that just let her go. But keep treating every few days this treatment until you can gently remove the scab with off with your finger nail. There will be a hole either with the bumble in it which should be thickish stuff that can be pulled out with sterile tweezers if there isn't anything there but a hole either way you want to pack with pain free triple antibiotic and wrap or keep her in a clean area till hole has closed up. Keep soaking her foot in the ES until healed.

Alot of work but if this is bumble it can become systemic and kill her if not treated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  9. TroyerGal

I do have ES... Would I need to drain the bumble? [​IMG] I saw something like that online.....

10. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be praying for her! @Miss Lydia 's advice is great, I did that for my goose James and he recovered in about a month of soaking.

Heres' what his foot looked like before I started treament... He had it on both feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by