1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Old Mortality, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Old Mortality

Old Mortality New Egg

Jul 25, 2015
    Hi,

One of my coturnix quail has a problem at the feet, which I think is bumblefoot.

[​IMG]

and the other foot:

[​IMG]

There is also a peculiar bump on both sides of one of the knees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have soaked them in Epsom salts, and then put on Viaderm-K.C. cream (corticosteroid, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal) daily for about 2 weeks now, but there is no obvious improvement.

I have read the post about the 'how I fixed my quail's bumblefoot' on this forum, which recommends Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder, but I cannot find that here in New Zealand.

What do you recommend I do for this quail?

many thanks for your help,

Michel

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Yes. That's bumblefoot, alright. I recommend you take him to the vet right away. If you want, you can p.m, me your location, and I can help find a pretty good vet. If, however, you have a financial or other problem with that, tell me, and I'll help you figure out what to do from there. One of our girls had bumblefoot, so I have experience treating it. Good luck!
    -Ameraucanas

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm just taking a guess, but perhaps the infection is in the knee joints as well now?

Do you keep this bird on wire? I haven't heard of any foot problems from birds not kept on wire.

If it's kept on wire and continuing to be kept on wire that's likely why it isn't healing. There's a risk of infecting other birds if they have cuts and it might be how the knee joints got that way? Not sure about that :eek:

With our chicken (our only experience with bumblefoot) we had to dig in to it a few times and bandage it then soak it and clean and repeat for weeks but it didn't look nearly as bad as your poor little bird :O we think she got it from jumping off the 8 foot high coop roof all the time [​IMG]

4. Old Mortality

Old Mortality New Egg

Jul 25, 2015
    Thank you for your help. She is not on a wire. The quails have hay inside, and earth outside. Right now, this particular quail is in a box in the house, on teatowels.
    With best regards,

Michel

5. Old Mortality

Old Mortality New Egg

Jul 25, 2015
    Hi,

Thank you for your help. I can take her to the vet, but I just don't expect very much of it, as I am not sure vets know very much about quails or birds. I am in Dunedin, NZ.
    Thank you again,

Michel

6. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Maybe ask for advice on the emergencies/injuries forum? It could be as simple as giving a few antibiotic injections and taking care of the bumblefoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by