Bumblefoot?!

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
hello fellow chicken lovers!
I have this rooster and I had just picked him up today (I normally don’t because he’s not friendly) and I took a look at his foot and saw thisView attachment 1936467 View attachment 1936468View attachment 1936469View attachment 1936470
He’s not limping and is acting normal besides his foot looking like this. Could this be bumble foot and just not as bad as other cases? How do I go about treating or taking care of this?

I do see the leg mites, dose that mean my whole flock has it? How do I treat it?
You can't see the leg mites, you only see raised scales that tell you there are mites under the scales. Already described treatment.

Be best to soak the foot pry the scab squeeze out any goop
Soaking might be good, but no need to dig at it.

Rub some Vaseline on the legs, and feet of each bird. You might also want to spray the roosts with permethrin spray, or dust the roosts with little permethrin dust.

Leave the bumble foot for 2-4 weeks to see if it heals. If not, then go ahead and soak the foot in a warm epson salt bath for 20ish minutes and remove the top and squeeze out anything from the foot. I'd put an antiseptic on the foot after if I were you to prevent anything from coming in. Pack the foot now with vaseline or bag balm and then soak the leg too if the bumble foot is still there. Slather on some vaseline or bag balm after you soak again. Soaking helps drown them I find and remove everything. Like what @getaclue said, spray the roosts with a diluted Permethrin spray which you can find at your local Tractor Supply Co. I would recommend to clean out the coop and nesting boxes, then spray with the Permethrin 10 spray to disinfect. I recommend to clean and spray the nesting boxes first then clean out the coop and spray the roosts and interior of the coop to kill anything and everything. Remove the excess poop and vacuum if you can. This will not only kill the mites and bugs but will get your coop clean and ready for winter.

Back
Top Bottom