Bumblefoot

KLI

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
20210621_192651.jpg
I think this is bumblefoot. Can someone confirm?

It could be, but can you show more closeup pictures of the foot? Including the bottom (the pad of the foot) and a closer pic of the swelling? And a picture of the pads of both feet? Do you see any black tissue or any lumps that look like a big wart? From looking at this one picture it looks more to me like some kind of growth.

Last edited:
It could be an abscess...which could certainly turn into bumblefoot, but...is the lump squishy (fluid filled?) or hard? Is the bird limping?
I saw her holding her foot up the other day so tonight I looked at it and saw the lump. I will investigate more tomorrow morning.

So this is definitely Bumblefoot. It has the black spot on the bottom. One is pretty bad and another has one just starting. I am seeing a vet tomorrow and she will teach me how remove them.

Attachments

• 20210622_145439.jpg
    20210622_145439.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 11
SO went to the vet and she cleaned off the foot and soaked it with an antiseptic until the scab was soft. Then she took her nail and picked at the scab to get it off the foot. It did Not have a core to it! It was just tissue under it. So she’s put her on an oral med called SMZ-TMP 200mg (that’s what the label says). Dose is 0.4 ml 2x a day. It is a pill crushed up in molasses so it is tasty to give to her. Can’t eat the eggs until 1week after meds are done. Also soaking it in epsom salt and spraying twice a day with Vetericyn plus. It is not wrapped so it can drain. This is a chicken that does not like to be handled so both her and I are getting a workout.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom