Bumblefoot ?

jmarcelino

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2019
A week ago, I noticed one of my hens walking oddly. It’s not what I would call a limp. She squats like she doesn’t want to put weight on her feet and moves fairly slow. She seems to be eating and drinking like normal.

I checked her feet and notice a pretty small (smaller than pencil eraser head) on each foot. My research led to Bumblefoot. I wasn’t sure if the feet were swollen, so compared with other hens and they seem okay.

I soaked her feet in warm epsom salt water, then picked a little at the black spots. After several soaks, the scab loosened. I treated it With Veterycine , Neosporin, and Prid. I covered with gauze and wrapped with vet tape. I have done this every day or so for the last week. The feet look pretty good and I never really extracted much, like ai have seen in videos. I didn’t want to get aggressive with the scalpel, as it wasn’t clearly evident what I am looking at. She still doesn’t walk normally, but she comes out of the coop to be with the others and is eating and drinking. Not knowing what her condition is, I will continue doing this for another week or so. I am thinking maybe the Prid will draw something to the surface, but will see. Here are her feet yesterday.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• Pru1.jpg
    Pru1.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Pru2.jpg
    Pru2.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 2
It looks like there might be cuts on her feet it can take a long time depending on the cut for the bumblefoot to heal but making sure the infection is clean. if it is not severer you can soaking the foot in a solution of Epsom salt and warm water but what you are doing is right along with wrapping it so it stays clean. Hopefully all is well

Back
Top Bottom