Bumblefoot?

hennypenny12345

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
Hi everyone, one of my hens seems to have swollen spots in between the toes. I checked the bottom feet, and there is no sign of bumble foot there so I am not sure what it could be now. She does have a scab on one of the swollen parts which made me think it could be bumble foot. All the photos of bumble foot I look at are on the bottom of the feet though. Any suggestions on what it could be and what I can do to help her? Any antibiotics I should get for her? Here are some photos of her feet that I just took…
Thank youuuuuu!!

Attachments

• 1F37BAF8-9F51-4471-AA6D-5596C026CEE3.jpeg
    1F37BAF8-9F51-4471-AA6D-5596C026CEE3.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0959FFDD-5858-430F-B17C-E2146DB384B5.jpeg
    0959FFDD-5858-430F-B17C-E2146DB384B5.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 10
In the first picture she definitely has bumblefoot. Most pictures show it on the bottom because that's typically where cuts/abrasions happen. Seems as if your girl got an abrasion in between her toes and the infection got there instead.

In the first picture she definitely has bumblefoot. Most pictures show it on the bottom because that's typically where cuts/abrasions happen. Seems as if your girl got an abrasion in between her toes and the infection got there instead.
Okay, thank you!

Check in the little flap of skin between her toes. Sometimes dirt/stones can build up there. I have a hen who keeps getting this and I have to dig it out every few weeks, though it's never been visible from the top of her foot like in your pics.

That does look like bumblefoot which also can occur between the toes. Soaking the feet in warm soapy or Epsom salts water for 15-20 minutes (do it inside where it is warm if weather is cold.) Repeat for a day or two. Try to remove the scab and squeeze any pus or core out of the area. A foot dressing should be applied after applying antibiotic ointment to the wound. This is a good link to read about bumblefoot treatment or the surgery:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Back
Top Bottom