Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I've got a few questions...what is bumblefoot? how can you tell if a duck is infected with bumblefoot? and if a duck does have bumblefoot, can it be treated? if so, how?

thanks so much in advance. sorry about the question overload...

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I currently have a duck with a mild case of Bumblefoot. It looks like this in the beginning:
    [​IMG]
    See the bump? We attempted to soak it and treat it with antibiotic ointment, but the scab on the bump would never give up.
    Bumblefoot is caused by a staph infection on the duck's foot, a very tender area. When ducks walk on cement/rocks/etc, their feet are suseptible to such injuries and the naturally occuring staph bacteria can cause this infection.
    My duck is limping, but getting along well. She's keeping up with her mates. If the bump turns black, we will take other measures but currently it is flesh colored and not terribly inhibiting.

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:one of my ducks has been limping for awhile, she keeps up, but she's kinda slow. but would you keep the duck seperated when treating? would you wrap the foot to keep the antibiotic ointment on it?

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    They say if you can see the "bump", you should soak it 20 minutes in epsom salt warm water, then attempt to "pull" the scab to hopefully drain infection. Following this you should use antibiotic ointment and bandage the foot.
    While we treated our duck, we kept her in a dog kennel. She was alone at first and miserable, constantly calling for the flock of 5 friends. Finally we put a drake in with her and she calmed down. She stayed in the cage 2 days, then pulled off all the bandages. We didn't re-soak/re-treat the foot because the scab would not disengage. We are watching her closely and checking for the bump to turn black. If it does not, I will not interfere with her again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    okay thank you. if i have to bring her in, i will bring her drake with her. they would both be miserable seperated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by