bumblefoot

remisophy

Songster
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
McMinnville, Oregon
Hi i have a 7 month old hen bad swollen foot top and
Botto. She gets foot soaks 2x a day. This has gone on fow
Weeks now. We cut the bottom open nothing but alot of blood.
The scab on the bottom of the foot was pin sized. an we go threw tje top
Of the foor between the toes? Please help.

Hi
Is anyone out there that can answer if i can cut the bumbles out of the top of the foot? we opened up the bottom of the foot making a small incision nothing came out but ALOT of blood. how deep do you cut into the foot?
Hope someone can give me some input.

Do you have a photo of the foot prior to surgery? Not all cases of bumblefoot have a hardened kernel. If it is a simple swelling of the pad on the bottom of the foot and one or two scabs, and if it is still soft, there is probably no kernel. Often such cases will heal with no intervention other than daily soaking. If you could feel that it was hardened, or if it was red, or huge and visible from the top of the foot, then there may well be a kernel that needs to be removed.

Oh, sorry, I did not see your 1st post when I replied. I now see you say it was severe before you did surgery. I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that cutting into an animal's foot is painful indeed, and if you are needing to dig around and/or go through the top of the foot, I would take her to a vet, if you can find one that sees chickens.

I hope your bumblefoot situation is getting better!
One thing I learned about this summer was emu oil for bumblefoot. We had a rooster with bumblefoot last spring, but sadly he was killed by a predator before we had the chance to find out if anything we did was working. Apparently emu oil is great for bumblefoot - a hawk at a raptor center was going to have to be put down because it was so bad and nothing they tried worked, then they tried emu oil and it healed!
I am planning on buying some in the near future to have on hand for our next bumblefoot case. My friend used emu oil for arthritis, but I didn't know about this use:)

Back
Top Bottom