1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I am really sorry if this is a double post I looked and couldn't find a recent thread on it.

But my Polish has bumblefoot. He has had it for a while but I didn't know what it was. So now my question is: how do I get rid of it? My friend is going to lend me a book that says how to get rid of it but I need some help from people.

Also his feet are really dirty and when I try to clean them the dirt and poop doesn't come off. How do I get that off before I slit it (?).

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Lympy had bumblefoot recently. I'll try to find the thread for you...

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:We soaked her feet in warm water, I just held her while she stood in it. Good Luck!

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    My Croc is alot worse than that but he doesn't limp either. Poor Croc. His foor looks really bad [​IMG]. Thanks Envirogirl.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Envirogirl can't be the only person who can help me on BYC. And those links helped but I could use some more.

6. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Fill your sink with warm water (not all the way, just enough so when you hold the chicken in it their feet/legs are in) and add epsoms salt. Let their foot soak until it's clean. My chicken recently had bumble foot and we did the surgery and everything. He LOVED sitting in the epsoms salt water and didn't want to come out. He is doing good now, he still has a bandage on his leg, but can walk around pretty well. Remember: a sick chicken's favorite treat is blueberries!

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had one hen get it pretty bad. I brought her in and wrapped her in a big towel. Make sure to use rubber gloves when doing this at all times. Washed the foot really good then took a razor and cut the foot open. I ran the foot under water while cleaning the infection out and then made sure to get all the cheesy looking stuff out.
    Then poured some peroxide on it let it bubble then rinsed it out with water. I then filled the hole with Neosporin and placed a gauze pad and wrapped the whole foot. Making sure they can still walk ok. Then I rechecked and reapplied the neosporin 3 days later. Then at day 6 I rechecked and it was healed up and looked great. I washed the foot and put some liquid bandage on it let it dry then turned her loose in the run with the rest of the girls. It never did reappear but I did change out the one roost that was a branch to a 2x4 so that might have helped too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  8. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    thank you guys for posting. he doesn't have a scab (does that mean he doesn't have bumblefoot?) but the area is swollen. I might get my friend to help me with it because he has experience treating bumblefoot. thanks again for helping.

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine had a small scab on the bottom of the foot but it also had a large boil looking area on the top of the foot between the toes. So I cut the top of the boil and cleaned it that way. I didn't bother with the scab on the bottom it went away after I teated it. Not sure if that is what your bird has can you take picture and post it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by