Bumblefoot???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3kennedys, Aug 2, 2014.

1. 3kennedys

3kennedys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    I have a 6 month old Easter Egger laying hen. She has recently developed a limp but can still put weight on her leg. It looks like it could be bumblefoot but I wanted to make sure. These are pictures of both feet and both seem to have the brown spots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I'm going to give this a bump up. I started to say yes....but usually it is on the pad. The toe ones puzzle me. Does there seem to be any swelling?

3. 3kennedys

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    Thanks, I appreciate it! There doesn't seem to be any swelling.

4. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Then I honestly do not know. I would hesitate to cut on any except that one on the pad until someone else comes along and voices their opinion. By an chance is that the foot they limp on? I have read where some have used iodine and sugar on them to avoid cutting. Do a search on here. I would try that on the small ones first. I have one hen I think I am going to try that. Only things concerns me would be ants. I shall see.

5. 3kennedys

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    Thanks!

6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hey look what I found. I think I will give this a try on my other two hens....

My Bumble Foot treatment by Bill Ludwig.
    The following is an all out treatment. Mild infections can sometimes heal on there own or with much less bother than the following treatment plan. For very mild cases (small scab and no swelling) I will just clean and bandage for 1 to 2 weeks. For a medium infection (small scab and minor swelling of the foot pad) I will give Pen-G injections and clean and bandage. For very bad cases (large scab and major swelling of entire foot) I use the following. This information is based on my personal experience. I have no back round or education in veterinarian medicine
    Bumble Foot is a staph infection and can spread to the "hock" joint as well. What has worked for me is injections of Pen-G. This is a basic form of penicillin and works very well on is type of staph infection. It will take some of your time for a week. You will need to soak the foot and bandage it also.
    Things you will need:
    1) Pen-G This can be purchased at feed stores or Tractor Supply Co. No prescription needed. Small bottle $9.00
    2) 3ml syringe with a 25 gage needle. Shorter needle is easier. I use 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Get this at a pharmacy. Cost about 25 cents each. You may want several incase you bend a needle.
    3) Rubbing alcohol
    4) Gaze
    5) Water proof bandaging tape
    6) Epson salts
    7) Neosporin or generic triple antibiotic ointment
    8) Time and TLC
    I have found that the lancing and squeezing is a waste of time.
    Soak the foot in warm Epson salt solution. Mix according to package. About 15 - 20 minutes.
    Apply Neosporin ( triple antibiotic ointment) and bandage. It will get dirt in it. Do the best you can allowing for free movement of foot.
    Injections .
    Allow Pen-G to warm to room temp. Shake pen-g well just before putting in syringe. Pull in about 3/4 CC (same as ml.). Pen-G is very thick, this will be slow.
    Injection can be given in breast or thigh.
    It must be given in muscle tissue taking care not to hit a bone.
    Find the spot you want and clean with alcohol.
    It helps if someone can help hold the bird now.
    The Pen-G will want to plug the needle so just before putting the needle in you need to clear it by pushing some out. Keep 1/2 CC in syringe. This is the amount I used for a 4-5 lb. bird.
    Insert the syringe and slowly withdraw it while injecting.
    If the medicine wont push out the needle, withdraw the needle and clear it and try again.
    If you have never done this I know it sounds difficult and even scary. Its not so bad.
    Clean syringe with alcohol or replace with a new one.
    Repeat for five days.
    Now clean and bandage every 2 - 3 days till scabbed area looks mostly healed.
    The swelling will last maybe a week longer after injections are done.
    The scab may take several weeks to completely heal

7. 3kennedys

Mar 18, 2013
    Edmond, OK
    I will definitely give this a try! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Good luck with your chickens!

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have two more hens to do so I think I'll try this method with one and the iodine thing with the other. I will let you know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by